This delicious Creamy Asparagus Soup is so easy to make with simple ingredients for a light, healthy lunch or dinner.
Making a quick soup is something I love, especially during the Fall and Winter months. They are not only a great way to get in extra veggies but also they are so comforting. Pureeing soups like this and this yummy Creamy Cauliflower Cheese Soup are a wonderful way to blend all the flavors together even more.
Table of contents
Easy Asparagus Soup with Milk
Whenever I am looking for a healthy lunch idea, I seem to think of soups. Creamy soups of course usually get there creaminess from heavy cream but I keep in lower in calories usually be just using low fat milk and it’s still just as delicious.
Asparagus soup is sometimes served chilled if you’d like to try that as well.
Ingredients needed for this soup recipe
Asparagus – fresh is best in my opinion. Trim about an inch or 1 ½ inches off the ends.
Onion – diced white or yellow onion is gives this soup delicious flavors.
Chicken broth – a flavorful soup base. Use regular or low-sodium based on your prefernce.
Butter – used to make a roux to thicken the soup
All purpose flour – to thicken the soup
Milk – used instead of heavy cream to lower the calories.
Sour cream – adds to the creaminess of this soup.
Lemon juice – Adds just a tad of citrus tang.
Salt and pepper – seasoned to your liking.
How to make this easy Asparagus Soup
Step 1: Place asparagus and onion in a large pan with the broth and simmer until tender. It approximately 10 -12minutes is perfect.
Step 2: Once the asparagus is tender, place it and the broth it’s simmered in, into an electric blender and puree until smooth. (save a couple of asparagus spears to garnish with if desired) You can also use an immersion blender if desired.
Step 3: Next, melt melt butter in the same pan and add the flour, salt and pepper over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. (be careful not to brown the flour mixture)
Step 4: Stir in remaining 1 ¼ cups of broth and increase the heat until it reaches a boil, stirring constantly.
Step 5: Then add in the pureed soup and milk and stir.
Step 6: Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and lemon juice.
Garnish with reserved cut asparagus tips and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired.
Variations and Substitutions
- to make it vegan, use non dairy milk, like coconut milk, almond milk and vegetable broth.
- Use heavy cream, evaporated milk or half and half instead of the regular milk for extra creaminess.
- Add cooked diced chicken or ham for a more hearty soup.
- Add in a handful of fresh spinach for the last 2 minutes of cooking the asparagus.
Use frozen asparagus in place of fresh
Use plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream if preferred.
Store leftover soup in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Try these other soup recipes:
Creamy Asparagus Soup
- 1 pound asparagus
- ¾ cup onion chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 ¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk of choice
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese optional
- Place asparagus and onion in a saucepan with ½ cup vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until the tender. (save a couple of asparagus spears to garnish with)
- Place remaining vegetable mixture in an electric blender and puree until smooth.
- Place oil (or butter) in the same pan.
- Add flour, salt and pepper and stir constantly for about 2 minutes. (careful not to brown the flour mixture)
- Stir in remaining 1 ¼ cups of broth.
- Continue stirring until it comes to a boil.
- Stir in the puree and milk.
- Finally stir in the yogurt and lemon until heated through.
- Garnish with reserved cut asparagus tips and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.