Cowboy Caviar is a colorful blend of fresh ingredients, beans, and mild spices with a touch of lime juice. Serve with your favorite chips for a fabulous, healthy appetizer.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 15 ounces 15 ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 11 ounces 11 ounce can super sweet corn, drained
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar optional (up to 1/4 cup if preferred)
In a large bowl, blend the olive oil, white wine vinegar, chili powder, cumin, lime juice and salt together.
Add the tomatoes, black-eyed peas, beans, corn, red onion, bell peppers and cilantro.
Cover and chill for at least 1 hour for flavors to blend.
Serve with your favorite chips, as a side dish or as a topping for fish or chicken
If possible, make it 3-4 hours before serving to let the flavors blend together even more.
Substitute fresh corn off the cob, or frozen corn instead of the canned corn.
Substitute green onions for red onion if you prefer.
Use red wine vinegar or apple cidar vinegar is that's what you have on hand.
Add up to 1/4 cup of sugar if you prefer a sweeter variety. I wouls start with one Tablespoon and test your preference.
Calories: 182kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 202mg | Potassium: 423mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 915IU | Vitamin C: 23.7mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 2.2mg