Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup
This Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup is a savory, hearty blend of amazing flavors. The added cilantro and spices add the perfect amount of scrumptiousness.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 lb bag of dry black beans you can also use (2 15 oz cans)
- I whole yellow or red onion chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper chopped
- 20 ounces cartons of low or no sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning
- 1 cup of fresh cilantro diced
- 1 tablespoon of coconut or olive oil
- 1 Avocado optional topping
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Bake sweet potatoes for about 30 minutes until they are just easier to cut through. (you do not want to cook until done of they will fall apart in the soup)
Rinse the black beans and place them in a large sauce pot.
Pour the vegetable broth in to cover.
Bring to a boil and cook on med-low.
Pour oil in a saute pan and add the onion and peppers. Cook until just tender.
Add onions and peppers to the beans.
Remove sweet potatoes from the oven and remove the skin. Then cut them into 2 inch chunks.
Add the potato chunks in the beans and add the taco seasoning.
Cook until beans and potatoes are tender, about an hour.
Stir in cilantro and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
Serve hot with avocado slices on top.
Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 375mg | Potassium: 1223mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 10080IU | Vitamin C: 23.9mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 3.5mg