This authentic barbacoa recipe is a simple slow cooker meal that makes the most tender, flavorful, delicious barbacoa beef.
- 3 lbs chuck roast fat trimmed, cut into 2-inch chunks
- ½ cup chicken or beef broth or water
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce chopped (more if you like more heat)
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
In a medium sized bowl, combine all the ingredients except the meat, and stir to combine.
Place the meat in the slow cooker.
Pour the sauce over the meat and gently toss to combine.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
Shred the beef using 2 forks inside the slow cooker.
Use a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon to serve the barbacoa.
Refrigerate in the juices in a sealed container. It also freezes well.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 430kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 156mg | Sodium: 730mg | Potassium: 848mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 140IU | Vitamin C: 6.1mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 5.9mg