These easy air fryer chicken fajitas are a perfect solution for busy weeknights. With minimal prep, you have a delicious meal of tender chicken, colorful bell peppers, and onions, all seasoned to perfection and ready for your favorite toppings.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Easy Air Fryer Fajitas
Fajitas are my go-to when I eat at Mexican restaurants and I’m so happy to now be able to make fajitas in the air fryer quickly at home! It has become a favorite of ours thanks to its mouth-watering blend of simple ingredients and spices and leftover chicken fajitas are so great for meal prep.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this great recipe. Scroll down for the full recipe card with amounts.
- Chicken Thighs: I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs and slice the chicken into thin strips.
- Bell Peppers: red and green bell peppers add a rainbow of colors. Use others colors like orange and yellow bell pepper if you’d like.
- Yellow Onion: brings a sweet, caramelized flavor when cooked. Red onion or white onion are good as well.
- Olive Oil: helps in cooking the ingredients to perfection. Use any other oil like canola or avocado oil.
- Fajita Seasoning: the magic mix that infuses your chicken and veggies.
- Salt: elevates all the tastes in the dish.
- Adobo Pepper: adds a hint of smoky spiciness.
- Tortillas: Use flour tortillas or corn tortillas.
- Favorite toppings: fresh cilantro, sour cream, lime juice, shredded cheese, lettuce, guacamole or sliced avocado.
- Swap chicken thighs with boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders for a leaner option.
- Use taco seasoning instead of fajita seasoning mix if you’re in a pinch. This is our favorite homemade taco seasoning recipe! (It uses simple ingredients of chili powder, cumin garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika)
- Include other fresh vegetables like sliced mushrooms or zucchini for more variety.
- Use whole wheat tortillas for a healthier twist.
- Like them spicier: add extra adobo peppers, a dash of hot sauce or cayenne pepper to the chicken as well. You can also top them with sliced jalapeños when serving.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas in the Air Fryer
Step 1 – In a large bowl, add the pepper and onion slices, a tablespoon olive oil and salt and toss to coat them evenly.
Step 2 – Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F and cook the veggies for 10 minutes, shaking the basket halfway.
Step 3 – Season the sliced chicken with fajita seasoning, adobo pepper, olive oil, and salt. Toss to coat evenly.
Step 4 – Add the chicken strips in with the veggies in the air fryer and cook for 10 minutes, shaking halfway through cooking time again, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F with a meat thermometer.
Step 5 – Warm the tortillas and garnish with any toppings you love.
- For more flavor, marinate the chicken in the seasoning for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator before cooking.
- Slice the chicken into even strips for even cooking. If you have a smaller air fryer, you may need to cook them in batches.
- Stirring and shaking the air fryer basket helps to cook evenly.
- Slice the ingredients ahead of time and cook them when you’re ready.
How to Store Leftovers
Refrigerate: Store leftover chicken and vegetables in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freeze: Place in a freezer bag or in an airtight freezer safe container for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator.
Reheat: They can be reheated in the microwave or air fryer until heated through.
Air Fyer Chicken Fajitas
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs boneless skinless, sliced into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper sliced thin
- 1 yellow onion sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 ½ tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 adobo pepper
- 8 flour tortillas
- In a large bowl, add the sliced veggies, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1 teaspoon salt and mix until to coat1 red bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper, 1 yellow onion, 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Add the coated vegetables and cook for 6 minutes.
- Then shake the basket and cook for another 4 minutes for a total of 10 minutes.
- Place the sliced chicken the the same bowl and sprinkle with the fajita seasoning, diced adobo pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt and toss to coat.1.5 pounds chicken thighs, 1 ½ tablespoons fajita seasoning, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, 1 adobo pepper
- Add the chicken to the air fryer and cook for 10 more minutes, shake the basket halfway through.
- Warm the tortillas on a microwave safe plate covered with a damp paper towel for 20-30 seconds.8 flour tortillas
- Serve with lime juice, chopped cilantro, and any other favorite fajita toppings like sour cream, shredded cheese, guacamole.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected