Elevate a comfort classic with this Creamy Lemon Parmesan Chicken. A simple, yet unforgettable dish made with juicy tender chicken breasts coated in an herb-seasoned golden parmesan crust, simmering in a lemon garlic butter sauce. An easy 30-minute family-friendly meal that you’ll be asked to make time and time again!
Making restaurant quality classic Italian chicken dishes are much easier than you may think. Recipes like this Chicken Marsala Recipe and this Caprese Stuffed Chicken are some of our other family favorites to try as well.
There’s something about the flavors of lemon garlic and butter that make your mouth water at just the thought. The citrus, the tang, and that velvety smooth texture are just the best. Thickened with just a bit of flour turning what was already delicious into something thick and maybe even more delicious. The perfect pairing to crispy crusted chicken cutlets makes this crowd-pleasing dinner a hit any night of the week!
30-minute dinners are a saving grace on most nights. Whether it’s because you’re on the go in the evenings or you’re just tired from a long day, there’s nothing better than a stress-free meal. Especially one you’ll hear no complaints about!
It’s a restaurant-quality meal, made right at home and at a fraction of the cost! It’s nice sometimes to feel a little fancy on a budget, and when it’s quick and easy and incredibly satisfying, that’s a win all around.
The chicken has a breaded texture to it but without the breadcrumbs. If you substituted for gluten-free flour and served it with a side of veggies, this meal would be completely gluten-free.
To make this a complete meal serve it on mashed potatoes, a bed of rice, or noodles. For a lighter meal, you could opt for a side salad instead.
How to Make Parmesan Chicken in Lemon Garlic Sauce
Start by cutting your chicken breasts in half lengthwise. You want them thinner in a cutlet style so they’ll cook faster.
Whisk the eggs and garlic cloves in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, add the Parmesan cheese, flour, and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine well. You’ll be dipping your chicken in the egg mixture first, then dredging it in the Parmesan mixture to coat. You may want to organize your bowls next to each other in order of steps to move things along seamlessly.
In a large skillet, heat oil on medium heat. Once it is hot, transfer the chicken pieces from the Parmesan mixture to the skillet to cook until crispy and golden on both sides.
While the chicken is cooking, in a separate saucepan, add the chicken broth, lemon juice, butter, and remaining garlic and heat. It will take a few minutes to get to a low boil.
In a separate container/glass measuring cup, mix water and flour together until blended. Add this mixture to the lemon garlic sauce and continue cooking on a low boil. Stir until the sauce thickens.
All the chicken pieces should be in the skillet at this point, so you can now pour the lemon garlic sauce over the cooked chicken. Doesn’t that look amazing?! Smells even better I bet.
Garnish with lemon slices and chopped parsley, if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips for Making Lemon Parmesan Chicken
- If you find the chicken is browning too quickly, reduce the heat.
- Use gluten-free flour for a gf version.
- Cook chicken in batches if needed, as you want everything to cook evenly without overcrowding the skillet.
- If you want your side veggies to have the lemon garlic flavor, feel free to cook them alongside the chicken in the skillet.
- If you don’t have chicken breast, this will also work with chicken thighs. You may have to adjust the cooking time a little longer.
- For a little added presentation and salt, sprinkle in some capers.
- You can use this lemon garlic butter sauce for so many things. It works with seafood, fish, and pork as well!
What to Serve with Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Any kind of pasta will work
- Mashed potatoes
- Sauteed spinach with garlic
- Green beans
Creamy Lemon Parmesan Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
For Lemon Garlic Sauce:
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
To thicken sauce:
- 1/2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Parsley chopped to garnish (optional)
- Lemon sliced for garnish optional
- Cut each chicken breasts in half the lengthwise.
- In a bowl, add eggs and 2 garlic cloves and whisk together well.
- In a separate bowl, add the parmesan cheese, flour and Italian seasoning and combine well.
- Dip each cut chicken breast into the egg mixture, then place it in the parmesan mixture coating each side well.
- In a large skillet, add enough oil to just cover the bottom and heat on medium heat.
- Once the skillet is hot, add the chicken and cook 5 minutes per side until crispy, golden and cooked to 165˚F on a meat thermometer.
- In a separate sauce pan, add the chicken broth, lemon juice, butter and 4 cloves of garlic and heat to a low boil for about about 2-3 minutes.
- In a glass measuring cup, mix the 1 tablespoon of cold water and tablespoon flour together until blended well.
- Add the flour/water mixture to the lemon garlic sauce and cook on a low boil for approx. 5 minutes, stirring until the sauce begins to thicken
- Add all chicken pieces back to the skillet (if cooked in batches)
- Pour the lemon garlic sauce over the cooked chicken.
- Garnish with lemon slices and chopped parsley, if desired.