Butter Steak Bites with Garlic Herb Potatoes is a sizzling skillet dish made in under 30 minutes. Elevate your everyday steak and potatoes with this simple and delicious version!
We all know there is nothing better than biting into a nice juicy, well seasoned, piece of steak. This recipe delivers tender cubes of juicy beef seared to perfection and potatoes coated in buttery garlic and herbs which give this dish incredible flavor and melt in your mouth texture.
If you’re looking for more dinner recipes that are quick and easy, which we could probably all use more of right now, try any or all of these. Chicken Zucchini Skillet, Caprese stuffed chicken, Cod with Tomato Basil Sauce.
It is an easy meal ready in a pinch any night of the week and will definitely satisfy your hungry crowd. This recipe has an explosive flavor even without marinating ahead of time. Take your taste buds on a journey with each bite being as flavorful as the next!
Tossed in delicious butter, garlic and herb sauce you can make as many or as little bites as you need. Serve it with a light salad for a main dish or place crispy steak pieces in a bowl alongside some napkins and toothpicks for a tasty appetizer.
This is a quick, fancy, and super easy twist on a classic dinner. And let’s be honest, serve with a side of scrambled eggs and you’ve got yourself a hearty breakfast!
How to Make Butter Steak Bites and Garlic Herb Potatoes
Heat a cast-iron skillet or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil to heat up. Once the oil is heated, melt the butter. Olive oil can stand a higher heat without burning. The butter, if added too early, will burn sooner than you’d like. Adding the butter is mostly for flavor but believe me, you want it!
Add the diced Yukon gold (or red) potatoes to the pan and add the garlic, oregano, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, then stir and continue cooking until potatoes are fork-tender.
Remove potatoes from pan and set aside. Return the skillet to the stove on high heat.
Add remaining butter and add the sirloin steak bites in a single layer. Cook for 1 minute without turning.
Stir the steak bites and continue cooking until the desired level of done is reached. Remove the skillet from heat.
Add the potatoes back into the skillet with the steak and toss together.
For an optional garnish, sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.
Best Meat to Use for Bites
I love sirloin because it is budget friendly and has great flavor, which is what I used for this recipe, however there are definitely other cuts you can use.
- Filet mignon
- Thick cut ribeye
- New York strip
- Stir fry meat
Tips and Variations
- Avoid russet potatoes if you can help it. They have a tendency to get too watery.
- If your potatoes are getting too brown on the outside but not tender after 10 minutes, turn the heat down to medium-low, add a couple of tablespoons of warm water and cover with a lid. Continue cooking this way for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle a little parmesan in your garlic and herb butter sauce for added flavor.
- There is absolutely no need to marinate the meat ahead of time, but there there is no rule against it! If you have the time, then by all means make extra oil and herb mixture ahead of time to coat the meat. Keep in the fridge overnight.
- Once you get the base of the butter garlic and herb seasoning for the meat you can get creative and try other flavors. Honey garlic steak bites, chili, and lime, or for added spice use a bit of a jerk rub.
What else can I serve it with?
While this is definitely a complete meal on its own there are lighter side options if you’re looking for something extra. A light salad or grilled or roasted veggies would add a nice balance.
If you are just making the steak bites without the potatoes you can use mashed potatoes, rice, and even macaroni and cheese.
When serving as an appetizer, leave out the potatoes and have a variety of dipping sauces, such as ranch dressing, mustard and ketchup, as an accompaniment.
Butter Steak Bites with Garlic Herb Potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter divided in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Yukon Gold or Red Potatoes potatoes cut into 1/2 inch chunk
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ pounds sirloin steak cut into 1 inch chunks
- Heat a cast iron skillet or non stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter and olive oil to the pan heat until butter is melted.
- Add potatoes, garlic, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes
- Stir and cook for an another 4-5minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove potatoes from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Return the skillet to stove and turn stove to high heat.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the steak bites in a single layer and cook for 1 minute, not turning.
- Then stir the steak bites for another 1-2 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Remove the skillet from heat and add the potatoes to the cook steak and toss together.
- Top with fresh chopped parsley, if desired