This Italian Cod Recipe is pan seared with a simple, fresh tomato basil sauce that’s lightly seasoned with garlic and lemon. It’s a quick, healthy dinner idea for any day of the week that ‘s ready in less than 20 minutes.
Be sure to try these other easy seafood recipes. This Pan Seared Salmon is so quick and easy, Shrimp Zoodles in Thai Coconut Sauce is loaded with flavor, and this Lemon Oregano Swordfish is another simple healthy dinner ida.
This easy fish recipe is perfectly seasoned and cooked to perfection and it’s a great choice for a healthy and satisfying meal
What makes this cod recipe so great?
Cod Fillets are a wonderful, mild white fish that are so easy to cook. They can be pan seared or oven baked with a variety of spices and sauces that make it so versatile each time you serve it.
This recipe features traditional Italian spices of garlic, onion and basil with the addition of olive oil and lemon juice for extra fresh flavors.
How to Make This Cod Fillet
Boil water to cook pasta.
Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
Add onion, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper and saute for 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant.
Then add 2 tablespoon of lemon juice, ½ cup of water (or white wine) and cherry tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are JUST beginning to wilt, about 3 minutes.
Place the fish in the pan and spoon some of the tomato sauce over top of the fish and add the other 2 TBPS of lemon juice.
Reduce heat to medium-low.
Cover the pan and cook until fish is cooked through, approx. 6-7 minutes.
What to Serve with this Pan Seared Cod Recipe
Staying with the Italian style of this recipe, it’s absolutely wonderful to serve it over penne pasta. You can of course use any other of your favorite pasta instead. Add a simple green salad topped with this Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette.
Cod Recipe with Tomato Basil Sauce
- 1 ½ pounds fresh cod fillet
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ medium sweet onion chopped fine
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 teaspoon dried basil 1 tablespoon of fresh basil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice divided
- ½ cup water or white wine for extra flavor
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound Penne Pasta or pasta of choice
- Boil water to cook pasta.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, basil, salt and pepper and saute for 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant.
- Then add 2 tablespoon of lemon juice, ½ cup of water (or white wine) and cherry tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are JUST beginning to wilt, about 3 minutes.
- Place the fish in the pan and spoon some of the tomato sauce over top of the fish and add the other 2 TBPS of lemon juice.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Cover pan and cook until fish is cooked through, approx. 6-7 minutes.
- Serve over the pasta.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected