This Italian style Cod Recipe is pan seared with a simple, fresh tomato basil sauce that’s lightly seasoned with garlic and lemon. It’s a quick, healthy dinner idea for any day of the week that ‘s ready in less than 20 minutes.
While visiting my brother earlier this year, my sister-in-law made us a meal very similar to this cod recipe and we all fell in love with it. My mind still gets blown at how simple a recipe can be and how amazing it can taste!
When I say it’s quick and delicious, I mean super simple, novice-cook, can’t mess it up easy.
What makes this cod recipe so great?
Cod Fillets are a wonderful, mild white fish that are so easy to cook. They can be pan seared or oven baked with a variety of spices and sauces that make it so versatile each time you serve it.
This recipe features traditional Italian spices of garlic, onion and basil with the addition of olive oil and lemon juice for extra fresh flavors.
How to Make This Cod Fillet Recipe with Tomato Basil Sauce
Boil water to cook pasta.
Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
Add onion, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper and saute for 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant.
Then add 2 TBSP of lemon juice, 1/2 cup of water (or white wine) and cherry tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are JUST beginning to wilt, about 3 minutes.
Place the fish in the pan and spoon some of the tomato sauce over top of the fish and add the other 2 TBPS of lemon juice.
Reduce heat to medium-low.
Cover the pan and cook until fish is cooked through, approx. 6-7 minutes.
What to Serve with this Pan Seared Cod Recipe
Staying with the Italian style of this recipe, it’s absolutely wonderful to serve it over penne pasta. You can of course use any other of your favorite pasta instead. Add a simple green salad topped with this Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette.
Cod Recipe with Tomato Basil Sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh cod fillet
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped fine
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil 1 TBSP of fresh basil
- 4 TBSP fresh lemon juice divided
- 1/2 cup of water or white wine for extra flavor
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb Penne Pasta or pasta of choice
- Boil water to cook pasta.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, basil, salt and pepper and saute for 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant.
- Then add 2 TBSP of lemon juice, 1/2 cup of water (or white wine) and cherry tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are JUST beginning to wilt, about 3 minutes.
- Place the fish in the pan and spoon some of the tomato sauce over top of the fish and add the other 2 TBPS of lemon juice.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Cover pan and cook until fish is cooked through, approx. 6-7 minutes.
- Serve over the pasta.