Juicy and flavorful Oven Baked Chicken Wings will be a hit at any party or game day. These crispy baked wings are coated with the best dry rub that are loaded with flavor and a healthier option than deep-fried wings.
Table of contents
Best Dry Rub Chicken Wings
Skip the deep fryer and learn how to get crispy skin on your wings without the excess oil. Just grab your chicken, spices and let me teach you the easiest and tastiest way to make wings.
There are endless chicken wing recipes on the web, but they are all made different ways. These party wings have a nice spice blend of red pepper flakes, chili powder, black pepper, brown sugar and more. The perfect blend of sweet and spicy.
Chicken Wings – Buy them pre-trimmed and ready or you can trim them yourself or use whole wings too if you’d like.
Oil – So I used olive oil but any type of oil works great.
Brown Sugar – The brown sugar helps to create a nice texture to the wings but also sweetens up the chicken slightly.
Seasonings – Onion powder, ground mustard, garlic powder, paprika, salt, chili powder and red pepper flakes are what I used for the rub.
1. If you don’t want hot wings, then leave out the red pepper flakes.
2. Pair with your favorite dipping sauce like bbq sauce, buffalo wing sauce, etc. after baking. You can bake them for about 5 minutes after coating to seal in the flavors
3. Add a splash of soy sauce to the chicken wings for added flavor.
4. Feel free to use 2 ½ tablespoons of any favorite wing rub.
5. Add ⅛ add ⅛-¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper if you like spicy chicken wings.
6. Using sesame oil will give these wings a whole new flavor.
7. Swap out spices used to change the flavor. Use Cajun seasoning, honey garlic chicken wings, lemon pepper, to change the whole flavor of the dish.
How to Make Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
Step 1 – Preheat the oven. Place a wire cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
Step 2 – Next, prep the chicken wings and then pat them dry with a paper towel.
Step 3 – In a bowl, will add the oil and chicken wings and toss to coat.
Step 4 – In a small bowl, add all the spices and seasonings and mix well. Then sprinkle the dry mix over the chicken wings and toss to coat.
Step 5 – Place wings skin side up on a wire rack and cook as directed. After awhile you will flip the wings and cook an additional amount of time.
Once wings are done serve with your favorite sauces and enjoy.
- The olive oil is a must as it is going to create the crispy oven-baked chicken wings. If you don’t use an oil it will leave the skin softer. So reach for oil whether it is olive, canola, or vegetable oil.
- Chicken is done when the internal temperature reads 165 degrees F. Depending on the size of your wings, the cook time will vary.
- Lining the baking pan with foil or parchment paper is great for easy cleanup.
- For an extra crispy texture, coat the chicken with a little corn starch before sprinkling with the spices.
How Long to Cook Chicken Wings in Air Fryer
Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and place the wings in a single layer. Preheat the air fryer to 400 ° F and cook for 20-25 minutes, shaking the basket every 5 minutes, until crispy and the internal temperature reaches 165° F. (Line the basket with parchment paper for easier cleanup)
If you have leftover chicken wings, simply store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. The wings will soften a bit once they cool down. But you can get the texture back when you go to reheat them.
For best results on reheating, place the wings in a single layer on a wire rack lined baking sheet again and bake 350° F. Heat for 5-10 minutes or until they are warmed through. You can also reheat them in an air fryer for about 5 minutes on 350° F if you have one.
Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- 1 pound chicken wing portions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 400° F and place a wire baking rack over a rimmed sheet pan lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Pat the chicken wings with paper towels.1 pound chicken wing portions
- In a large bowl, add the chicken wings and olive oil and toss to coat.1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a small bowl, mix all the other dry rub ingredients1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon ground mustard, ½ teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon chili powder, ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sprinkle the spice mix over the chicken wings and toss to coat well.
- Place the chicken wings, skin side up, on the wire rack and cook for 20 minutes.
- Then flip the wings over and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Enjoy served with ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing.