This easy dinner recipe is perfect for an elegant meal or a casual dinner with the family. Chicken with mushroom sauce is made with tender chicken cutlets smothered in a beautifully seasoned, creamy white wine sauce and pairs well with many kinds of side dishes.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
This skillet chicken recipe is smothered in a white wine mushroom sauce infused with delicious flavor. Then, it’s all tied together with parmesan cheese. It might look like a mild dish, but every bite is herbaceous and full-bodied.
The most surprising thing about this skillet meal is that it will be ready in less than 30 minutes! It’s such an indulgent dish with layers of flavor, but it cooks quickly!
Below is a list of the simple ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this easy recipe. Scroll down to the full recipe card for amounts.
- Olive Oil: You’ll use this to brown the chicken breast and sauté the mushrooms and onion, so use a high-quality oil to get the best flavor.
- Chicken Breast: For them to cook quickly and evenly, you want to either cut thicker boneless chicken breasts in half crosswise or pound them down. We want them to be thin cutlets.
- Butter: To control the saltiness, I use unsalted butter. If you’re using salted butter, you might want to add a bit less salt.
- Onion: Cooked down onion in butter may be the best thing ever. Slice white or yellow onion.
- Fresh Mushrooms: Any kind of mushrooms work. Button mushrooms (cremini mushrooms), shiitake mushrooms, baby bella, etc. As long as they are sliced.
- White Wine: This adds an extra layer of flavor to the creamy sauce. If you are avoiding alcohol in your cooking, replace it with chicken broth or chicken stock.
- Seasoning: Salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Remember to add salt to taste if using salted butter.
- Heavy Cream: To get the most flavor and thickness, use full-fat heavy cream.
- Parmesan Cheese – This adds essential nutty notes to the creamy sauce. Once melted it gives the sauce a sharp cheesy taste.
- Dijon Mustard: The mustard gives essential tanginess to the creamy sauce.
- Fresh Parsley: You can’t beat the aroma and flavor of fresh parsley.
1. This recipe works with boneless, skinless chicken thighs as well.
2. Toss in a cup of baby spinach when you add the chicken back into the skillet with the sauce. It’ll wilt quickly in the heat.
3. For a lower-calorie option, omit the heavy cream and choose whole milk or 2% milk instead.
4. To thicken the sauce, mix in a Tablespoon of cornstarch or flour with the milk.
5. Add fresh herbs – fresh thyme or fresh rosemary give it even more flavor.
How to Make this Skillet Mushroom Chicken Recipe
This decadent meal is made with whole, fresh ingredients in under 30 minutes. The resulting flavors are something you’ll not soon forget!
Step 1: Cook chicken cutlets in a large skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until no longer pink. Remove the breasts from the skillet and set aside on the plate.
Step 2: To the same skillet, add the butter and sliced onion. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the onion caramelizes and browns. They should be soft and translucent at this point.
Step 3: Toss in the sliced mushrooms and cook for another 4 minutes until soft. Then, slowly pour in the white wine and add the salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir to combine, scraping the brown bits off the bottom to deglaze the pan. Cook for about 2-3 minutes for the wine to cook down.
Step 4: Slowly add in the heavy cream, Dijon mustard, and parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
Step 5: Transfer back the cooked chicken to the skillet and submerge it into the sauce. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Step 6: Serve over rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes. Top with even more yummy sauce and garnish with fresh parsley.
What to Serve with Chicken and Mushroom Recipe
Serve this juicy chicken and creamy sauce on top of your favorite type of white rice, brown rice, egg noodles or pasta. You’ll love having something to soak up that yummy sauce. You can also choose a low-carb option and make garlic mashed cauliflower or cauliflower rice.
On the side, a simple strawberry spinach side salad or kale salad is perfect. Other than salad, steamed or roasted veggies on the side are always a good idea. These roasted green beans and roasted broccoli or brussels sprouts are all wonderful too.
Last but not least a basket of crusty bread like this homemade sourdough bread to scoop up that amazing mushroom sauce!
- Use dry white wine for this recipe. Something like a cabernet sauvignon, pinot grigio, or sauvignon blanc. Don’t buy anything you wouldn’t normally drink!
- Pat the chicken cutlets dry with a paper towel before sautéing to get a nice brown sear.
- The chicken will finish cooking in the sauce. Do not overcook it while you’re browning the outsides, otherwise, it’ll end up dry.
- This chicken with mushroom sauce recipe serves 4. Double it if you are serving a larger crowd, but be sure to cook the chicken in batches to not overcrowd the pan.
Yes, you can make the chicken in advance. Just be aware that the sauce might thicken in the refrigerator, so eat it within three days. You also may need to add a splash of broth, wine, or cream to loosen it up again.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Freeze in a freezer safe container for up to 2 months.
The best way to reheat this mushroom chicken is on the stove in a skillet. Heat it slowly over low heat until it is heated through. You can also heat it on a microwave safe plate on 50% or 60% power level for a minute or so or until just heated through.
Creamy Chicken in Mushroom Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise or pounded thin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- In a non-stick skillet or cast iron pan, add a tablespoon of olive oil and heat over medium heat.1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until barely no longer pink, flipping it over halfway, Then remove chicken from the skillet and place on a plate. Be careful not to overcook.2 pounds boneless
- Add the butter and sliced onion to the same skillet. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the onion is starting to caramelize and brown.2 tablespoons butter, 1 yellow onion
- Then add the sliced mushrooms and cook for another 4 minutes until soft.8 ounces mushrooms
- Add white wine, salt, garlic powder and pepper and stir to combine and cook for about 2-3 minutes for the wine to cook down.½ cup white wine, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Slowly add in the heavy cream, Dijon mustard, and parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.1 cup heavy cream, ½ cup parmesan cheese, ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Return the cooked chicken to the skillet and make sure it is covered with the sauce.
- Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes heat through. Do not overheat the chicken or it will become tough
- Serve over pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes and top with additional sauce and chopped parsley if desired.2 tablespoons fresh parsley
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected