This creamy garlic mashed cauliflower recipe is a perfect low carb alternative to traditional mashed potatoes! It’s seasoned with simple ingredients along with cream cheese and Parmesan cheese that gives it the perfect creamy texture.
Looking for more low carb easy side dish recipes to pair with your meals? This sauteed spinach and this cauliflower casserole are always a hit and this air fryer bacon wrapped asparagus is so amazing!
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Best Garlic Cauliflower Mash
A great side dish like this mashed cauliflower is a testament to the fact that healthy and delicious can coexist harmoniously on the same plate.
Garlic cauliflower mash is not just tasty for those on a low carb diet, it’s a perfect side dish to make for any holiday dinner. The creaminess of the cream cheese, the rich taste of Parmesan, and the garlic come together wonderfully and there are rarely any leftovers.
- Cauliflower – one large head of cauliflower is the star of the show for the perfect nutty flavor. Fresh is best but you can use frozen cauliflower as long as you thaw it completely and pat it completely dry before using.
- Cream cheese – adds a touch of creaminess and tang to the mash.
- Grated Parmesan cheese – brings a salty, umami flavor that complements the cauliflower beautifully.
- Garlic cloves- fresh raw garlic adds a robust flavor that elevates the dish. You can also use jarred minced garlic or a teaspoon of garlic powder. Feel free to add more if you’d like.
- Chicken bullion powder – provides a rich, savory depth.
- Black pepper – rounds out the flavors.
1.Swap the cream cheese for sour cream for a tangier flavor.
2. Use vegetable bullion instead of chicken for a vegetarian version.
3. Add roasted garlic or sauté the garlic in a skillet for 2 minutes instead of raw for a milder, sweeter garlic flavor.
4. Use nutritional yeast instead of parmesan cheese and a dairy free cream cheese for a vegan option.
5. Add ½ cup of diced onion in when the cauliflower cooks or add a teaspoon of onion powder.
6. Add a little butter in if you’d like
7. Mix in some fresh herbs like parsley or chives.
How to Make this Creamy Mashed Cauliflower Recipe
Step 1 – Cut the cauliflower into florets and bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Step 2 -Add the cauliflower florets and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
Step 3 -Drain the cauliflower well and then pat dry with paper towels.
Step 4 -Place the cooked cauliflower in a food processor with all of the other ingredients.
Step 5 -Puree until your desired consistency.
Garnish with chives.
- Make sure to remove an excess water from the cauliflower to avoid it being too watery.
- Cook the cauliflower in a steamer basket or directly in the pot.
- Use an immersion blender or a potato masher instead of a food processor.
- For a smoother mash, let the food processor run for an extra minute or two.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through.
While you can freeze cauliflower mash, the texture may change upon thawing. For best results, we recommend eating it fresh.
Yes! You can prepare the cauliflower mash and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before serving.
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower cut into small pieces.
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic minced
- sat and black pepper to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon chicken bullion powder optional
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- Add the cauliflower to the boiling water and cook for about 10 minutes or until tender.1 head cauliflower
- Drain well in a colander. Pat dry with paper towels to remove any excess water.
- Place hot cauliflower in a food processor.
- Add the garlic, cream cheese, Parmesan, chicken bullion and pepper.1 tablespoon cream cheese, ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1 clove garlic, ⅛ teaspoon chicken bullion powder, sat and black pepper
- Puree for about 2 minutes or until almost smooth.
- Garnish with chives, and serve hot.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected
Adapted from Eating Well