This low carb Mexican Chicken Zucchini Skillet recipe is an easy dish that is made with fresh ingredients. Ready in 30 minutes or less, it’s a one pan healthy meal that the entire family will love.
I get a little too excited about healthy dishes that I can make in less than 30 minutes. One pan. Loads of protein. Colorful veggies. It’s clean eating at it’s best!
MEXICAN CHICKEN ZUCCHINI SKILLET
This Mexican Chicken Zucchini Skillet is scrumptious! Cooked with a zucchini, red onion, bell peppers, favorite Mexican spices (or this taco seasoning) and fresh cilantro, which I think gives it the big boost of flavor. You can also opt to add a little shredded cheddar cheese, too, if you’d like.
I think zucchini tastes better al dente so be careful not to overcook it to where it’s mushy. Five to seven minutes is plenty of time
Other additions that would be great are corn (frozen or fresh) and black beans as well. I would add them in when you add the tomatoes if you do. Serve it with cilantro lime brown rice as the perfect side.
I am planning on planting zucchini in our garden again this year. It’s the one thing that I can’t seem to kill (like almost everything else…cough cough) Thankfully, it’s pretty much the most popular veggie of the house.
So be sure to try a some other favorite zucchini dishes:
MEXICAN CHICKEN ZUCCHINI SKILLET INGREDIENTS
1 – 1.25 lbs. boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
1 red onion, diced
2 medium zucchini, or yellow squash, diced
2 medium bell peppers – different colors, diced
3 tsp chili powder
3 tsp ground cumin
sea salt and pepper to taste
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1/4 cup shredded cheese of choice, optional
HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN CHICKEN ZUCCHINI SKILLET
Mexican Chicken Zucchini Skillet
This low carb Mexican Chicken Zucchini Skillet recipe is an easy dish that is made with fresh ingredients. Ready in 30 minutes or less, it's a one pan healthy meal that the entire family will love.
- 1 - 1.25 lbs. boneless & skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 4 fresh garlic cloves minced
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow squash, diced
- 3 medium bell peppers - different colors diced
- 1 cup organic corn frozen or fresh
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese of choice optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, peppers and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, corn and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
- Place the veggies in a bowl and set aside.
- Add chicken to the pan and sprinkle with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Cook for approximately 7-8 minutes or until no longer pink in the inside and a little brown.
- Once the chicken is cooked through add the veggies back to the pan and stir well to combine.
- Add the tomatoes, then cover and cook on low heat for a few minutes. (add cheese now too if desired)
- Top with cilantro