This low carb Mexican Chicken Zucchini Skillet recipe is an easy dish that is made with fresh ingredients. Ready in 30 minutes or less, it’s a one pan healthy meal that the entire family will love.
I get a little too excited about healthy dishes that I can make in less than 30 minutes. One pan. Loads of protein. Colorful veggies. It’s clean eating at it’s best!
Mexican Chicken Zucchini Skillet
This Mexican Chicken Zucchini Skillet is scrumptious! Cooked with a zucchini, red onion, bell peppers, favorite Mexican spices (or this taco seasoning) and fresh cilantro, which I think gives it the big boost of flavor. You can also opt to add a little shredded cheddar cheese, too, if you’d like.
I think zucchini tastes better al dente so be careful not to overcook it to where it’s mushy. Five to seven minutes is plenty of time.
Other additions that would be great are corn (frozen or fresh) and black beans as well. I would add them in when you add the tomatoes if you do. Serve it with cilantro lime brown rice as the perfect side.
I am planning on planting zucchini in our garden again this year. It’s the one thing that I can’t seem to kill (like almost everything else…cough cough) Thankfully, it’s pretty much the most popular veggie of the house.
Ingredients for Mexican Chicken Zucchini Skillet
1 – 1.25 lbs. boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
Coconut oil or olive oil
Garlic cloves, minced
1 red onion, diced
Zucchini, or yellow squash, diced
Bell peppers – different colors, diced
sea salt and pepper to taste
Diced tomatoes, drained
Cilantro leaves, chopped
Shredded cheese of choice, optional
More easy zucchini recipes
How to Make Mexican Chicken Zucchini Skillet
Mexican Chicken Zucchini Skillet
- 1 - 1.25 lbs. boneless & skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 4 fresh garlic cloves minced
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow squash, diced
- 3 medium bell peppers - different colors diced
- 1 cup organic corn frozen or fresh
- 3 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves chopped
- ¼ cup shredded cheese of choice optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, peppers and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, corn and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
- Place the veggies in a bowl and set aside.
- Add chicken to the pan and sprinkle with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Cook for approximately 7-8 minutes or until no longer pink in the inside and a little brown.
- Once the chicken is cooked through add the veggies back to the pan and stir well to combine.
- Add the tomatoes, then cover and cook on low heat for a few minutes. (add cheese now too if desired)
- Top with cilantro
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected