These Zucchini Boats are stuffed with Italian spices, chicken, and just the right amount of low fat mozzarella cheese. They are a wonderful, healthy low-carb, high protein meal everyone will enjoy.
Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables because it is just so darn versatile. Some of my favorite main dish zucchini recipes are Beef Teriyaki Zucchini Noodles and Thai Chicken Zucchini Noodles and this Spicy Asian Zucchini is an absolute must for a simple side dish.
Zucchini Boat recipes have been popping up a lot lately and can I certainly see why. They make a wonderful low-carb main dish that are quick to prepare in many different ways.
How to Make Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Making zucchini boats starts with slicing each zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out flesh. Then creating a simple Italian meat sauce with chicken, tomatoes, onion, garlic and spices. The meat sauce is then loaded into the hollowed out halves of zucchini, topped with a little low fat mozzarella cheese, and baked for a few minutes.
You can use any meat you prefer for your zucchini boats. Ground beef, ground turkey or even ground sausages are all a great choice. This is a great recipe to use frozen crock pot chicken prepped ahead of time too.
Mozzarella cheese is my preference for this recipe. Romano or parmesan cheese are other nice substitutions.
Use a jar spaghetti sauce instead making your own sauce for even faster prep.
Easily make other zucchini boat variations.
Make them Asian flavored by adding soy and ginger instead of tomatoes, basil and oregano.
Make vegetarian zucchini boats by adding quinoa or rice along with lentils as well.
Add pesto sauce instead of tomato sauce.
Can you Freeze Zucchini Boats?
Zucchini Boats do not freeze well. The zucchini will usually turn out mushy. But you can prepare the meat filling at any time and freeze it. Once defrosted, add it to the hollowed out zucchini halves and bake.
Try these other Italian Recipes too:
- Homemade Marinara Sauce
- Spaghetti Squash Primavera
- Turkey Meatballs
- Pasta Fagioli Soup
- Portobello Mushroom Pizzas
Italian Chicken Zucchini Boats
- 2 large zucchini
- 10 oz. chicken breast cooked and diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup canned diced tomatoes drained
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook and dice chicken into bize-size pieces and set aside. This is a great time to used frozen crock pot chicken too.
- Cut each squash in half lengthwise and scoop out flesh, leaving a ¼-inch shell (careful not to cut through the shell).
- Dice the squash that you scooped out.
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the chopped squash and tomatoes to the skillet and cook for another 5 minutes, until it has softened as well.
- Add diced chicken, basil, oregano, and pepper and stir well.
- Place the zucchini halves onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly onto each of the 4 halves.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.