This delicious Pasta Fagioli recipe is an incredible version of the classic Italian soup! This one has bacon…need I say more!
This Pasta Fagioli recipe is so, so incredibly yummy! It’s a classic Italian soup that I’m you may have seen many recipes and variations of it.
I got this recipe from cousin Tonya. She graciously brings it pretty much each time she comes to visit us and I always do the happy dance. It includes BACON! Need I say more. 🙂
TIP for you – Make a double batch. It freezes well too.
Ingredients for Pasta Fagioli
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
1 large onion, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 oz of white wine
4 cups of chicken broth (I use low-sodium)
1 29 oz can of petite diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon Oregano
½ teaspoon basil
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 14 oz can of Northern White Beans (I use low-sodium)
½ cup of parmesan cheese
8 strips of Bacon, cooked and crumbled – (I buy the boxed version most of the time of convenience) You could also use turkey bacon as well.
½ cup of pepperoni, cut into little pieces – (You could use turkey pepperoni as well)
1 lb box of Ditalini pasta
How to Make Pasta Fagioli
Cook bacon and set aside. Then crumble when cool.
In a large pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onions are tender.
Turn off heat. Add cooking wine, chicken broth, tomatoes and seasonings listed.
Bring to a boil.
Add beans, cheese, bacon and pepperoni.
Stir and simmer for 30 minutes.
You can either mix the pasta in or add into each bowl as wanted. We choose to put the pasta in separate because in my house everyone likes it a little different.
You can do the same with the parmesan cheese too. But I do add this into mine.
Pasta Fagioli Recipe
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 oz white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth I use low-sodium
- 29 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 14 oz can of Northern White Beans I use low-sodium
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese
- 8 strips Bacon cooked and crumbled - (I buy the boxed version most of the time of convenience) You can use turkey bacon too.
- ½ cup of pepperoni cut into little pieces - (You could use turkey pepperoni as well)
- 1 lb box of Ditalini pasta
- Cook Bacon and set aside. Then crumble when cool.
- In a large pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onions are tender.
- Turn off heat. Add cooking wine, chicken broth, tomatoes and seasonings listed.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add beans, cheese, bacon and pepperoni.
- Stir and simmer for 30 minutes.
- You can either mix the pasta in or add into each bowl as wanted. We choose to put the pasta in separate because in my house everyone likes it a little different.
- You can do the same with the parmesan cheese too. But I do add this into mine.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected
Try these other soups too:
This recipe is perfect! I like to emulsify everything except the bacon so that it’s nice and smooth and then add the pasta in last. oooooh so good! Thanks for the delicious dinner, making tonight again for dinner guests!
I followed this recipe and actually made a double batch cause it sounded so good….I didn’t add all of the pasta though as I wanted to make sure there was lots of broth. after simmering for 30 min I ended up with a pot full of tomato noodles and parmesan cheese stuck everywhere. Iwould recommend to anyone trying this to do the noodles on the side and add the parmesan cheese after as otherwise it will not turn out good