This Spaghetti Squash Primavera recipe is loaded with your favorite fresh vegetables and homemade marinara sauce combined for a delectable low carb version of a favorite Italian meal. Easy, cheap and quick to make.
Ever since I started clean eating years ago and more recently gluten-free, I have become a huge spaghetti squash fan. It’s such a great substitute for pasta in recipes like this and also this Thai Spaghetti Squash or Chicken and Spinach Spaghetti Squash.
To be honest, it was one of those vegetables that I avoided for many years because I didn’t really know what to do with it. It’s not one that my mother ever cooked for us growing up. Yellow summer squash was the only squash that I had ever tried.
I had no idea that spaghetti squash really takes on the flavors that you mix it with.
This spaghetti squash primavera is super easy to make! Load it up with your favorite veggies that are in season. I chose to use asparagus, mushrooms and onions in this particular recipe but any others like zucchini, broccoli, spinach, etc. would be fantastic also.
I cooked my spaghetti squash in the oven because I had plenty of time. But, you can also cook it in the microwave! Oh, yes you can. Just stab the squash with a fork all around the outside and place it on a microwave safe dish. Microwave for 7-9 minutes or until a knife can be inserted into the skin easily.
I also chose to omit the cheese this time around. It took complete willpower let me tell ya. But feel free to indulge in a little or a lot more cheesy gooeyness than I did if you wish.
Ingredients needed for this Primavera Recipe
Coconut oil or olive oil
Mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
Asparagus, cut in half or quarters
pepper to taste
Shredded mozzarella (optional)
How to Make This Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (see microwave directions above)
Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
Place face down on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes.
Let cool for 10 minutes.
With a fork, scoop out the “spaghetti” strands of the squash into a serving bowl or small casserole dish.
Add oil to a large skillet and heat on medium high
Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes
Add asparagus and cook for another 5 minutes or until desired tenderness.
Add 1 cup of marinara sauce to the spaghetti squash and toss until coated.
Top with veggies and the remaining marinara sauce.
Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese if desired.
Try these other spaghetti squash recipes too:
Spaghetti Squash Primavera
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1 small onion diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms I used baby bellas
- 1 lb asparagus cut in half or quarters
- 2 cups Marinara sauce
- pepper to taste
- 3 ounces 3 oz or more shredded mozzarella optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (see microwave directions above)
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Place face down on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- With a fork, scoop out the "spaghetti" strands of the squash into a serving bowl or small casserole dish.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat on medium high
- Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes
- Add asparagus and cook for another 5 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Add 1 cup of marinara sauce to the spaghetti squash and toss until coated.
- 10. Top with veggies and the remaining marinara sauce.
- 11. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese if desired.
- 12. ENJOY!!
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected