This Cilantro Lime Chicken Soup is fresh, healthy and ultra comforting. Full of delicious flavors, it makes for a fabulous lunch or dinner any time of year.
It was 7 degrees when I woke up on Monday morning! Brrrrrr! It was definitely a soup making kind of day!
I had all the ingredients to make this Cilantro Lime Chicken Soup so into the slow cooker it went. (You can make it on your stovetop as well though too).
I have actually had the can of tomatoes with green chilies for quite a while. I had bought it by accident months ago and it’s the perfect addition to this soup for a little bitty kick to it. If you prefer “no heat”, just substitute a can of plain diced tomatoes instead.
Another alternative to the cumin and oregano is to use 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning instead.
This soup is so flavorful!! It’s amazing what a little cilantro and lime do to an otherwise boring dish.
Serve it over brown rice for a fabulous healthy dinner or lunch choice this week.
Coconut oil or olive oil
Boneless chicken breasts
No sodium chicken broth
Diced tomatoes with diced chilies
Lime juice or juice of a lime
How to Make this Cilantro Lime Chicken Soup
Heat oil in saute pan and add onion, celery and garlic. Cook for approx. 5 minutes.
Add onion, celery, garlic to the bottom of the slow cooker.
Place chicken on top.
Add broth, canned tomatoes, oregano, and cumin.
Cook on high for 4-6 hours. On the stovetop, cook for an hour or until veggies are to desired tenderness.
Remove chicken from the broth and shred with two forks.
Return shredded chicken to the broth.
Add cilantro and lime juice and stir to combine.
Optional: dice avocado and add to each bowl.
Try these other healthy soup recipes too:
Cilantro Lime Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts
- 6 cups no sodium chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes with diced chilies
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice or juice of a lime
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 avocado optional
- Heat oil in saute pan and add onion, celery and garlic. Cook for approx. 5 minutes.
- Add onion, celery, garlic to the bottom of the slow cooker
- Place chicken on top.
- Add broth, canned tomatoes, oregano and cumin.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours. On stovetop, cook for a hour or until veggies are to desired tenderness.
- Remove chicken from the broth and shred with two forks.
- Return shredded chicken to the broth.
- Add cilantro and lime juice and stir to combine.
- Optional: dice avocado and add to each bowl.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected