This air fryer French toast recipe is a game-changer for an easy breakfast. Our easy recipe combines thick brioche bread with the classic egg mixture seasoned with cinnamon and nutmeg for a perfectly flavored version of traditional french toast.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
French Toast in the Air Fryer
This French toast brings you an easy breakfast with the convenience of air frying. It’s quick and simple to make and serve with fresh fruit, maple syrup, and powdered sugar.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll down to the full recipe card for individual amounts.
- Milk – I like using whole milk but you can use any type of milk you’d like to mix with the eggs.
- Eggs – the key to binding the flavors and creating that iconic custard base.
- Vanilla Extract – adds a sweet flavor.
- Ground Cinnamon and Ground Nutmeg – these spices provide the classic French toast warmth.
- Thick Bread – I think thick slices of bread like brioche bread, Texas toast or slices of french bread is the best fresh bread to absorb the egg mixture well without getting soggy.
- Non-dairy Milk – Almond milk, oat milk or soy milk can be used for a dairy-free option.
- Gluten-Free Bread – Use gluten free bread if needed.
- Regular bread – use any favorite regular white bread slices and cook time to 2-3 minutes and then flip for another couple of minutes depending on the thickness of your bread.
- Egg Substitute – For a vegan twist, use a plant-based egg alternative.
- Different Spices – Use apple pie spice or pumpkin spice for a different flavor.
- Make french toast sticks by slicing each piece of bread into 3 or 4 equal sizes. Kids love dunking them in syrup!
How to Make This Air Fried French Toast Recipe
Prep the Air Fryer: Spray the basket with non-stick spray or line it with parchment paper.
Make the Egg Mixture: In a shallow bowl, add the milk, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg and whisk together well.
Preheat your air fryer to 360° F and spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray or line with air fryer size parchment paper.
Dip: place a slice of bread slice into the custard mixture, then flip it over quickly. Lift it and allow excess egg to drip off.
Then place it in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Repeat with additional slices depending on the size of your air fryer.
Cook for 6 minutes. Then flip and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until golden brown. (check after 2 minutes as air fryer brands differ in cooking times).
If you’d like to keep them warm to serve all at once place them in the oven on a baking sheet with a cooling rack on top to keep them from getting soggy. Set the oven to its lowest setting.
- For sweeter French toast, add a tablespoon of sugar to your egg mixture.
- Stale bread works great for this recipe.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer it they may not cook evenly.
- Just a quick dip is enough. Don’t soak the bread too long to prevent sogginess.
How to Store?
Refrigerator: Keep leftover French toast in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezer: I love making a big batch and freezing them for a quick breakfast. Freeze in a freezer safe bag for up to 3 months.
Reheat: Reheat in the air fryer for a 1-2 minutes on 350 ° F or in the microwave for 30 seconds. You can reheat the frozen french toast in the air fryer too.
Air Fryer French Toast
- ⅔ cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 slices thick bread such as Brioche or Texas toast
- Maple syrup butter, fresh fruit, powdered sugar
- Spray the air fryer basket with a non-stick cooking spray or line it with an air fryer parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, add the the milk egg, vanilla extract and spices and whisk together completely.⅔ cup milk, 3 large eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the air fryer to 360° F
- Dip one piece of bread into the egg mixture.6 slices thick bread
- Lift it out and let the excess egg drip off, and place the coated bread slice into the air fryer basket.
- Add a 2nd or 3rd piece if your basket is big enough.
- Cook for 6 minutes.
- The flip it over and then cook for and additional 4-6 more minutes until golden brown, checking after 2 minutes as air fryer brands differ in cooking times.
- Repeat with the remaining pieces of bread.
- Serve topped with your favorite toppings like butter, maple syrup, fresh fruit and powdered sugar.Maple syrup
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected