These Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups are a bite-size, easy appetizer recipe made with a creamy, cheesy, and spicy filling with shredded chicken inside crispy wonton cups. All the best flavors of buffalo chicken dip in one loaded bite!
Love Buffalo Chicken recipes? Then you will really enjoy these Buffalo Chicken Meatballs and this Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese. They are both high on the must make list when guests come over!
Table of contents
Baked Buffalo Chicken Wontons
These crispy wontons with Buffalo Chicken filling are the kind of easy appetizers that is versatile enough to present as an elegant holiday appetizer but will carry me well through football season and beyond! We love other wonton cup appetizers like these Shrimp Wonton Tacos too!
These are so easy to make and utterly addicting, that no matter the occasion, they’re happily devoured by all.
They’re like a cracker and our favorite buffalo chicken dip in one! It’s its own little scoop with a delicious, flavorful creamy dip baked right inside the crispy wonton shells without the need for deep frying!
- Wonton wrappers: These thing little wrappers usually come vacuumed sealed in a stack. Usually found in the freezer section of Asian food markets, they’re now also widely available at most grocery store chains.
- Olive oil: In order to get crispy buffalo chicken wonton cups, we need to brush them with a bit of oil. It also helps to turn them golden brown.
- For the creamy mixture: This is a combination of Buffalo sauce (Frank’s Red Hot is the most popular), sour cream, garlic power, and mozzarella cheese.
- Cooked chicken: What are buffalo chicken wonton cups without the chicken?! To the filling, we’re adding cooked shredded chicken breast which is a great way to use up any leftovers. You can also use a store bought rotisserie chicken.
- Garnish: A dash of sliced green onions on top of each cups adds livens up the presentation of each little cup. Blue cheese crumbles are great too!
- Dip: Ironically, even though the filling is a dip itself, this little appetizer can also be paired with blue cheese or ranch dressing! The flavors of either of the cool creamy dips are a popular pairing with the spicy Buffalo sauce.
1. Can’t find wonton wrappers? Use egg roll wrappers instead and cut them into quarters.
2. Leave out the sour cream and substitute it for more cream cheese.
3. You can also substitute the sour cream for plain Greek yogurt.
4. Swap the mozzarella for cheddar cheese, Colby, or pepper jack cheese.
5. As mentioned, Frank’s red hot sauce is very popular and happens to be my favorite, but you can use what you prefer.
6. Any type of cooked chicken will work. Canned chicken is super convenient for this recipe.
How to Make this Wonton Cups
These are so easy to make and so good to eat. No one will blame you for reaching for just one more!
Step 1: Grease a mini muffin tin with non stick cooking spray or oil and then place each lightly oiled wonton wrapper into each of well of the pan.
Step 2: In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, buffalo sauce, sour cream, and garlic powder and stir together until combined.
Step 3: Then, add the shredded mozzarella and chicken and continue to stir to combine.
Step 4: Use a cookie scoop or spoon to scoop up about 1 Tablespoon of the chicken mixture into each cup.
Step 5: Bake the cups in a preheated oven for 12-13 minutes, or until the shells are golden brown and crispy. Garnish with blue cheese crumbles, extra buffalo sauce and/or sliced green onions and enjoy!
These adorable little mess free bites will not disappoint!
- Freshly grated cheese from a block will result in a creamier texture and melt easier into the mixture.
- For a lighter version, you can use light cream cheese.
- If you want extra crunchy wonton cups, double up on the wrappers and use two for each!
- Adjust the spice level. Whatever Buffalo wing sauce you decide to use, keep in mind your family’s taste preferences. Pick a mild sauce if they’re not a fan of too much heat.
- Double the recipe. Make as many as you need to serve your crowd.
Keep them covered in an airtight container in the fridge. They will get a big soggy the longer they sit, so I recommend consuming sooner than later.
Use the oven or air fryer to reheat them through at 175-200 degrees. They should crisp right back up for you.
It yields 24 bite-sized morsels, but as mentioned above, feel free to double or even triple the recipe as needed. As long as you’ve got enough muffin tins, it’s basically limitless!
If you like this recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe below. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram!
Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup buffalo sauce
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup chicken cooked and finely shredded
- green onions sliced, optional garnish
- Ranch dressing or Blue Cheese dressing for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Grease a mini-muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or oil.
- Lightly brush each wonton wrapper with olive oil and place one wrapper into each well of the muffin pan with the oiled side down.24 wonton wrappers, 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, buffalo sauce, sour cream, and garlic powder and stir to mix together.6 ounces cream cheese, ¼ cup buffalo sauce, ¼ cup sour cream, ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Then add the shredded mozzarella cheese and shredded chicken and combine well..1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1 cup chicken
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, add about one tablespoon of the buffalo chicken mixture into each wonton cup.
- Bake the wonton cups for 12-13 minutes, or until the wontons are golden brown and crispy.
- Garnish with blue cheese crumbles and/ or sliced green onions, if desired.green onions
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected
I haven’t made these, but definitely will because I have family members who are into “buffalo”! I also have wonton wrappers left over from making crab rangoons. I love that you include the ingredients and measurements for each stage within the directions. So HELPFUL!