This homemade chocolate fudge recipe is so easy to make with rich semi-sweet chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk blended with a little vanilla extract (and a hint of espresso too if you’d like). It’s a classic treat for holidays that every chocolate lover looks forward to.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Best Homemade Chocolate Fudge
Every bite of this creamy fudge is a journey to pure bliss. With its velvety texture and nutty crunch, homemade fudge is not only a must-make for parties but it also makes a wonderful gift to give neighbors and friends all wrapped up in a cute container.
You can make this fudge with just a few simple ingredients and no candy thermometer is needed. Quick and absolutely delicious, this old-fashioned fudge has the perfect rich chocolate flavor.
To go along with this chocolate fudge, we love making this Christmas fudge that’s made with white chocolate chips and colorful swirls of green and red for another fun version to make during the holiday season.
Below is a list of the recipe ingredients you’ll need to gather. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card with amounts.
- Chocolate Chips – semi-sweet chocolate chips are the perfect chocolate foundation. You can also use a chocolate bar if you’d like. Ghirardelli chocolate is my favorite!
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – Adds creamy sweetness, helping to form the fudge’s texture.
- Cocoa Powder – Enhances the chocolate flavor, making it even more intense.
- Vanilla Extract – Gives a fragrant depth and warmth.
- Instant Espresso Powder (optional) – Intensifies the chocolate flavor, adding a subtle coffee note.
- Salt – a pinch of salt balances the sweetness.
- Chopped Pecans – Add a satisfying crunch and nutty taste.
- Sprinkles (optional) – For a fun, festive touch.
- Swap semi-sweet chips for dark chocolate chips for more intense dark chocolate fudge.
- Use almond extract instead of vanilla for a nuttier aroma.
- Use a different chopped nut like walnuts or almonds, or omit nuts altogether for a nut-free version.
- Mix in dried fruit, like cherries, raisins or cranberries, for a fruity twist.
- Top with sea salt flakes or coconut flakes.
- Add in some mini marshmallows for a more rocky road fudge.
How to Make this Easy Fudge Recipe
Step 1 – Line a 8×8 or 9×9 square pan with parchment paper for easy removal.
Step 2 – In a double boiler, add the chocolate chips, condensed milk, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, espresso powder, and salt.
Step 3 – Heat until smooth, stirring often, for about 3 minutes.
Step 4 – Add in the chopped pecans and gently stir to combine.
Step 5 – Then transfer the chocolate mixture into the prepared pan.
Step 6 – If using, sprinkle the top with festive sprinkles. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours to let the fudge to set completely. It should be firm to the touch and not leave a fingerprint when lightly pressed.
Step 7 – Slice the fudge into small squares and enjoy!
How to Melt Chocolate Chips Without a Eouble Boiler
On the stovetop: If you don’t have a double boiler, then you can add the ingredients in a medium heat safe bowl. Boil 1-2 inches of water in a medium saucepan. Then, place the bowl over the top of the saucepan and stir until melted. Be careful not let any water get into the chocolate or overheat it or it will seize.
In the microwave: You can also place the chocolate chips in a medium microwave safe bowl and melt the chocolate chips for 30 seconds, then stir and repeat for another 30 seconds. Stir and repeat one more time if necessary. Be very careful not to overheat the chocolate or it will seize. Then stir in the vanilla, milk and other ingredients.
- Cut the fudge while cold with a sharp knife for easier cutting. Wipe the knife after each slice for the cleanest edges.
- Use wax paper or aluminum foil instead of parchment if desired.
- Stir the fudge mixture constantly while melting to avoid burning.
- Double the recipe for a larger crowd and use a 9×13 dish or 11×17 dish.
Store fudge in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. It can be stored at room temperature but will be more soft.
Yes, you can also freezer the fudge. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and freeze in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving. I like to freeze them in individual slices
Easy Chocolate Fudge
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder optional
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon sprinkles optional
- Line an 8×8 or 9×9 square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients, except pecans and sprinkles, to the pot of a double boiler and heat for about 3 minutes, stirring often, until the chocolate is fully melted.2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Fold in chopped pecans and stir to combine.1 cup chopped pecans
- Pour the fudge mixture into the prepared baking dish (top with any seasonal sprinkles if desired).1 tablespoon sprinkles
- Place the tray in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours to set.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Swap the pecans for chopped walnuts.
- Omit the espresso powder and cocoa powder if you’d like.
- If you don’t have a double boiler, then you can place the ingredients in a medium heat safe bowl. Boil 1-2 inches of water in a medium saucepan. Then, place the bowl of ingredients over the top of the saucepan and stir until melted. You can also place the chocolate chips in a medium microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds then stir and repeat for another 30 seconds. Stir and repeat one more time if necessary. Be very careful not to overheat the chocolate or it will seize.
- Cut fudge while cold for easier cutting.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected