These delicious hot chocolate cookies are full of cocoa flavor and topped with fluffy marshmallows that remind you of a warm mug of hot chocolate in every bite. They are perfect cookies to add to your Christmas cookies list or to enjoy any time of year you’re craving a fun chocolate cookie.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Easy Hot Cocoa Cookies
Everyone will adore this rich chocolate cookie recipe with the comforting taste of hot cocoa in cookie form. Bake a batch for parties or share them at cookie exchanges with friends and family during the holiday season.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll down for the full recipe card with amounts.
- All-Purpose Flour: Use any brand you’d like. You can also use a gluten free flour like Bob’s Red Mill one-to-one gluten-free flour if desired.
- Dry Skim Milk: adds a creamy flavor to the cookies.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: gives the cookies their rich chocolate flavor.
- Baking Soda: helps the cookies rise.
- Salt: enhances the overall flavor of the cookies.
- Cinnamon: adds warmth and subtle spice. It’s used both in the dough and for rolling the cookie balls in a cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Butter: I used salted butter but you can use unsalted as well.
- Granulated Sugar: for creaming with the butter and some for mixing with cinnamon and rolling the cookie dough balls in.
- Large Egg: the binder that helps hold the cookie together.
- Vanilla Extract: adds to their overall taste.
- Mini Marshmallows: for mimicking the marshmallows in a cup of hot cocoa (chocolate marshmallows are fun too!).
- Chocolate Sprinkles: to add a festive touch and extra chocolatey goodness.
1.Don’t have mini marshmallows? You can place half of a large marshmallow on top (in center of each cookie).
2. For a lactose-free version, swap the dry milk powder with an equal amount of rice powder.
3. Use regular dry milk instead of skim if you prefer.
4. Add the marshmallows directly to the cookie batter instead of adding them to the top of the cookies after baking.
5. Add a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, chopped chocolate bars or even white chocolate chips to the dough.
6. Use brown sugar to mix in the cookie dough and white sugar to roll them in.
How to Make this Cookie Recipe:
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, dry milk, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and ½ tablespoon of cinnamon. Whisk them together.
Step 3: In a large bowl, add the softened butter and ⅔ cup of white sugar and beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes until creamy. (use the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment if you’d like). Set aside the remaining sugar for later.
Step 4: Add the egg and vanilla extract to the butter mixture and blend on low speed until well combined.
Step 5: Gradually add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, mixing until fully combined.
Step 6: In a small bowl, mix the remaining granulated sugar and cinnamon.
Step 7: Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough and form it into a 1-inch ball. Then roll the ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture and place it on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Repeat until the pan is filled.
Step 8: Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Step 9: Remove the cookies from the oven and carefully press 3 mini marshmallows into the top of each cookie. Be careful…they will be hot.
Step 10 (Optional): Change the oven setting to low broil and place the cookies back in the oven for 1-2 minutes, just until the marshmallows are lightly browned.
Step 11: Remove from the oven again and immediately add the chocolate sprinkles if you’d like.
Step 12: Let the cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Be sure to measure the flour accurately by spooning it into a measuring cup and leveling it off with the back of a butter knife.
- Chill the dough for 15-20 minutes for easier rolling.
Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
To freeze these cookies, place them in an airtight container or plastic freezer bag for up to 3 months with parchment paper between layers to prevent sticking.
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour 150g
- ½ cup dry skim milk 63g
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder 40g
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon divided
- ½ cup salted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar divided, 200g
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 72 mini marshmallows 3 per cookie
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, dry milk, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and ½ tablespoon of the cinnamon and whisk together.1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, ½ cup dry skim milk, ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and ⅔ cup of white sugar and beat together for 3-4 minutes until creamy. (Set aside the remaining sugar for later).½ cup salted butter, 1 cup granulated sugar
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and blend into the butter mixture.1 large egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the flour mixture gradually into the butter mixture until it is completely combined.
- In a small bowl, add the remaining granulated sugar and cinnamon and mix together.
- Scoop out about a tablespoon of dough and into 1 inch ball.
- Then roll the ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture and place it on the prepared pan about 2 inches apart. Repeat until the
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully press 3 mini marshmallows into the top of each cookie. (Be careful as the cookies will be hot).72 mini marshmallows
- Optional: Change the oven setting to low broil. Place the cookie trays back in the oven for between 1-2 minutes just until the marshmallows are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven again and immediately add the chocolate sprinkles.Chocolate sprinkles
- Allow to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected