These S’mores Cookies are the ultimate summer treat made with a delicious cookie base, chocolate chips, graham cracker pieces, and gooey marshmallows. It’s a fun cookie version of the classic campfire dessert!
Table of contents
Best S’mores Cookies Recipe
S’mores have become such a classic treat come summertime that the combination of graham cracker crumbs, melty chocolate, and gooey marshmallow has been made into so many different kinds of desserts! Ice cream flavors, brownies, cupcakes, you name it!
We all love the idea of roasting marshmallows, but sometimes we just don’t have a campfire handy! Enter, these chewy, golden brown, easy and delicious s’mores cookies. A fun twist with everything we love about classic s’mores!
Pull apart just one and drool over gooey they are. Pretty soon you’ll be eating two or three wondering where these have been all your life. They are just that amazing!
They are perfectly portable for any dessert table, potluck, or weekend activity with the kids. If you love these you will also love my Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Ingredients Needed For These Cookies:
- Softened butter: Take it out ahead of time so that it’s soft enough to cream when whisked. Do not use melted butter otherwise your cookies won’t have the chewy consistency.
- Brown sugar: Amazing flavor comes from the brown sugar which pairs so well with graham crackers. It also adds more moisture than regular granulated sugar would.
- Large egg: For binding the ingredients.
- Vanilla extract: Adds delicious vanilla flavor to all kinds of baked goodies. If you can find pure vanilla extract, even better.
- All-purpose flour: Provides structure to the cookies and gives them a needed foundation.
- Baking soda: Helps to make these cookies light and airy giving them a chewy texture rather than crunchy.
- Mini marshmallows, Chocolate chips, Graham crackers: Putting the s’mores in these cookies! Use semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips
How to Make S’Mores Cookies
This recipe for s’mores cookies will come together in one bowl for easy clean up!
Step 1: First, combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl and mix until creamy with an electric mixer on medium speed. Then add the egg and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
Step 2: Continue with the flour and baking soda and stir those in until just combined and no lumps remain. Remember to measure your flour correctly using the spoon and level method.
Step 3: Next, toss in the chocolate chips, marshmallows, and chopped graham crackers. Gently stir so that you’re careful not to break the crackers down any smaller.
Step 4: Chill the dough for 30 minutes and while it is, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 5: Once the dough has chilled, scoop 1.5-2 tablespoon size balls of cookie dough onto the lined cookie sheet using a cookie scoop. Keep about 2 inches of space in between each one. They won’t spread a ton, but they will spread, and this way they won’t touch while baking.
Step 6: Bake until the edges are golden brown, about 12-14 minutes, and allow them to cool on a wire rack until they are room temperature. They will still be a bit soft in the middle but will continue to bake and then set as they cool.
What kind of Marshmallows to use for s’mores cookies?
I love using mini marshmallows for more than just the fact that they’re more evenly dispersed than using one giant one. It’s because of the surface area of the marshmallows.
The coating on them, you know the rough outer portion that protects the gooey center? Well, that helps to stop the marshmallows from spreading too much while baking, therefore getting lost. Overall, a bunch of smaller marshmallows has more of that protective coating than one or two larger ones do. You can also use marshmallow bits that Jet Puffed has.
1. Swap out brown sugar for 1 cup of white sugar or use ½ cup of white sugar and ½ cup of brown sugar.
2. Add in m&m’s, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, etc. for a little something different.
3. If you have mini Hershey’s chocolate bars on hand, use some of those chopped!
4. Swap out the graham crackers for oatmeal if desired.
5. Add ½ cup of cocoa powder to make them double chocolate s’mores cookies. Uhm, yes please!
- Use an electric mixer or a whisk, if preferred. This recipe works with either one.
- DO NOT SKIP THE CHILL TIME. This is an important step to take so that the cookies do not spread too much.
- Uniform-sized cookies. Ensure you’re scooping out the same amount of dough for each of the s’mores cookies by using a cookie or ice cream scoop. This helps to avoid uneven baking.
- If using unsalted butter, add ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Top with additional marshmallows or chocolate chips so that you can see them once baked.
- Without graham crackers. Make them without the graham crackers if desired.
- For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free flour like Bob’s Red Mill One-to-One flour. You’ll also want to find gluten-free graham crackers or omit them altogether.
- Any size chocolate chips. Use mini chocolate chips or regular. That’s up to you!
- Garnish with flakey sea salt, if desired. The sweet and salty balance is insane.
- If you’d like some fluffy marshmallows on top, you can pull them out of the oven after 9-10 minutes and press 2 or 3 marshmallows into the top of the cookies, and then continue baking your s’mores cookies for 3-4 more minutes.
Keep them moist by storing them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
You can! Once you’ve formed the balls, place them on a parchment-lined tray and flash freeze them just until hardened. Then, transfer them to a freezer-friendly bag and they won’t freeze in a clump.
Keep them frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and pop them in the oven when you’re ready to bake them.
The Best S’mores Cookies
- 1 ½ sticks butter softened (12 tablespoons)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup graham crackers chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the butter and sugar. (you can use a whisk or electric mixer)
- Then mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Next add the flour and baking soda. Stir or beat until flour is just mixed in and no large lumps remain.
- Add in chocolate chips, marshmallows, and graham crackers and gently stir, trying not to break the crackers.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill so that the dough will not spread too much when baking. DO NOT SKIP this important step.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F while dough is chilling and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Once dough has chilled, scoop 1 ½ – 2 tablespoon size balls of dough onto the lined baking sheet, spacing them at least 2 inches apart so they don’t touch while baking.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray for 10 minutes or until room temperature.