This air fryer southwest egg rolls recipe is one that you will love to make for a light lunch or appetizer. A healthy alternative to traditional egg rolls, they are loaded with chicken, Mexican cheese, black beans, corn, seasoned with a blend of spices all wrapped in egg roll wrappers.
Want more air frying recipes? Try my air fryer buffalo wings or these amazing air fryer salmon bites.
Table of contents
This is a Chili’s copycat recipe of their popular southwestern egg rolls. Now you can make them at home and serve them whenever you are cravings them.
These southwest egg rolls are air fried so you will use less oil but still get that golden brown crunchy egg roll texture without deep frying.
- Chicken: Cook and shred chicken prior to making these egg rolls, either by boiling, baking or sautéing until no longer pink.
- Mexican cheese: Mexican cheese is my go-to for these. But use any cheese you prefer like cheddar, Monterey jack, or even queso fresco or cotija.
- Black beans: Black beans are a great source of fiber, protein, and other nutrients.
- Corn: Use frozen or canned corn.
- Garlic powder: You can also use 2 cloves of fresh minced garlic, if preferred.
- Chili powder: Chili powder is a blend of spices that can add a spicy and savory flavor to dishes.
- Paprika: Paprika is a spice made from dried and ground peppers, and it adds a sweet and smoky flavor to dishes.
- Cumin: Cumin is a popular spice in many cuisines, including Mexican, Indian, and Middle Eastern.
- Egg: Beaten egg can help seal the egg roll wrappers and prevent the filling from spilling out.
- Egg roll wrappers: Egg roll wrappers are thin sheets of dough found in the produce department of most stores.
You can always customize this recipe a little more if you’d like and make flavorful egg rolls with other favorite ingredients!
1. Swap the cooked chicken with shedded pork, ground chicken or ground turkey.
2. Use a store bought rotisserie chicken for quick prep.
3. Swap black beans with pinto beans. Just rinse and drain the beans.
4. Instead of the Tex Mex ranch use a different dipping sauce like plain ranch or avocado ranch dressing or even just sour cream, salsa or guacamole instead.
5. Dice up a jalapeño finely and stir into the mixture for added spice. Or if you prefer mild flavor a red bell pepper or a green bell pepper works great.
6. Stir in some finely diced green onions or red onions.
7. Use 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning instead of the other spices.
How to Make these Southwest Air Fryer Egg Rolls
Preheat the air fryer to 375°F and prepare the tray by lightly greasing it or lining it with parchment paper.
Step 1 – In a large bowl, combine the cooked and shredded chicken, shredded Mexican cheese, drained and rinsed black beans, drained and rinsed corn, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, and cumin. Mix well.
Step 2 – Place an egg roll wrapper on a flat surface or cutting board and add roughly ¼ to ⅓ cup of the mixture onto the center of the wrapper.
Step 3 – Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of the wrapper with the beaten egg. Fold one corner of the wrapper over the mixture, then fold the sides in towards the center.
Roll the wrapper to cover the mixture completely. Brush a small amount of the beaten egg on the inside of the final corner to help seal the egg roll.
Step 4 – Repeat with the remaining egg roll wrappers and mixture.
Step 5 – Brush the entire outside of each egg roll with the beaten egg wash.
Step 6 – Place the egg rolls in a single layer in the air fryer, making sure they don’t touch each other.
Step 7 – Cook for 5 minutes, then flip the egg rolls and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Optional: Make the Tex Mex Ranch by adding all of the ingredients listed in a small bowl and mixing until well combined.
How to Fold Egg Rolls
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a flat surface with one of the corners facing you (it should look like a diamond).
- Add the filling in a line across the center of the wrapper, leaving some space along the edges.
- Fold the bottom corner of the wrapper over the filling, tucking it under the filling slightly.
- Fold the left and right corners of the wrapper towards the center, so that they’re slightly overlapping.
- Brush the top corner of the wrapper (the one farthest from you) with a beaten egg or water, which will help seal the egg roll.
- Roll the wrapper tightly towards the top corner, making sure the filling stays in the center.
- When you reach the top corner, press it down gently to seal the egg roll.
- Repeat with the remaining egg roll wrappers and filling.
- When cooking the homemade egg rolls place the seam side down. This will help ensure the egg rolls don’t fall apart.
- Don’t overfill the egg roll wrappers as they won’t wrap as well.
- Ensure the chicken is fully cooked before you mix up the filing.
- Pulse the cooked chicken in a food processor to shred quickly.
- Don’t have an air fryer, you can also spray a baking sheet with a nonstick cooking spray and bake the egg rolls in the oven at 425° F for 10-15 minutes.
Store egg rolls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Place parchment or wax paper in between layers if desired.
Warm up the egg rolls in the oven or air fryer. I find that heating them up in the air fryer allows for a crispy texture where if you microwave they will stay softer in texture.
If you warm them up in the air fryer just heat at 350 F for 3-4 minutes or until the filling is warmed all the way through.
Want to freeze extra egg rolls? Simply place them in a freezer bag or other freezer safe container and freeze for up to 6 months. Then just place in the oven to reheat or air fryer if you would like. You can reheat in the oven, air fryer, or microwave.
If you like this recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe below. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and TikTok!
Air Fryer Southwest egg Rolls
For the Egg rolls
- 1 cup chicken cooked and shredded
- 2 cups Mexican cheese shredded
- 15.5 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can corn drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 egg beaten
- 16 egg roll wrappers
For the Tex Mex Ranch Dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons ranch dressing seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 green onion finely sliced
Making the Egg Rolls
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F and lightly grease the tray or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the chicken, cheese, beans, corn, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika and cumin and mix together well.1 cup chicken, 2 cups Mexican cheese, 15.5 oz can black beans, 15 oz can corn, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon cumin
- Place egg roll wrappers on flat surface and scoop roughly ¼ to ⅓ cup on the mixture onto each wrapper.16 egg roll wrappers
- Brush the edges of each egg roll wrapper with the beaten egg and fold one corner over the mixture then fold both sides in, then roll to cover mixture completely. (brush small amount of the egg mixture on the inside of the final corner to help seal the egg roll)1 egg
- Brush the entire outside of each egg roll with the egg wash and place in the air fryer. in a single layer. (So none of them are touching)
- Cook for 5 minutes, then flip egg rolls and cook for additional 5 minutes.
Making the Tex Mex Ranch. (Optional)
- In a small bowl, add all of the ingredients listed and mix until combined well.1 cup sour cream, ¾ cup milk, 2 tablespoons ranch dressing seasoning, 1 tablespoon lime juice
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected
This looks delicious.