Creamy broccoli casserole is a classic, comforting recipe made with fresh broccoli florets in a cheesy sauce, and topped with buttery crackers. It’s a perfect side dish that’s easy enough for weeknight dinners, special enough for the holidays, and a hit no matter the occasion!
If you love this casserole, be sure to make these other favorites too. This loaded potato casserole is a great recipe to add to your holiday menus, this green bean casserole is classic favorite, and this cheesy cauliflower casserole is a wonderful low-carb option too.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Best Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Have you ever wondered how to make broccoli taste better? Well, here’s how! You smother it in a cheesy creamy sauce and top it with buttery Ritz crackers. The result is so incredibly tasty that you’ll look forward to eating your vegetables – and your picky eaters will, too!
I love an easy side dish that is not only simple to make but can be enjoyed on all kinds of occasions. The holiday table, Sunday supper, and anytime during the week. Casseroles are just like that. They’re like a good friend who’s always there when you need them!
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card with amounts.
- Fresh Broccoli Florets: Cut the florets into small pieces and remove the stem pieces to make them easier to eat.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: This is what makes the sauce extra creamy.
- Mayonnaise: Also adds to the creamy texture but also gives it some tang.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: Melty and cheesy, this is what it’s all about! Grate your own sharp cheddar cheese to make the flavors really pop.
- Minced Dried Onion: Onion flavor without having to add (or chop up!) fresh onions. You can use onion powder too. If you prefer fresh onion, swap the dried for ¼ cup of finely diced onion.
- Eggs: These hold all the ingredients together so that when it bakes it holds its form and doesn’t completely fall apart.
- Butter Crackers: A great crispy buttery topping. The crunch is everyone’s favorite part! I use Ritz crackers and put them in a plastic zip baggie and crush them with a rolling pin.
Almost every part of this recipe can be changed and still make a delicious side dish. Here are just a few things you can change in this easy broccoli recipe.
1. Swap the Ritz cracker crumbs for Toll house original crackers, french-fried onions, Panko breadcrumbs mixed in couple tablespoons of melted butter or even cheese crackers as a topping.
2. You can also use a combination of both broccoli and cauliflower.
3. Swap the condensed soup flavor. Use cream of mushroom soup, cream of broccoli soup, or cream of cheddar soup. They’ll all lend a different flavor but all taste great.
4. Add a teaspoon of garlic powder or 2 cloves of minced garlic.
5. Add ½ cup of finely chopped mushrooms or a cup of sweet peas.
6. Use ½ cup of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream and ½ cup of Mayo.
7. Stir in 1 cup of cooked rice to the broccoli mixture before baking it.
8. For an entire meal, add in bite-sized pieces of cooked chicken breast or shredded rotisserie chicken.
How to Make Broccoli Casserole
This creamy broccoli casserole will come together in just five easy steps! Here’s how to make it.
Steam the Broccoli
Step 1: Cook the broccoli florets in a large pot of boiling water for 3-4 minutes until they are tender yet crisp. They will continue cooking in the oven and we don’t want them mushy.
Step 2: Drain the broccoli into a colander in the sink and let it sit for a few minutes. Pat them dry with paper towels to remove excess water if necessary.
Prepare the casserole
Step 3: In a large bowl, mix the chicken soup, mayo, shredded cheese, minced onion, eggs, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
Step 4: Then, add the steamed broccoli to the cheese mixture, and mix, making sure all florets are evenly coated.
Step 5: Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Then pour the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread it evenly.
Bake the Casserole
Step 6: Bake for 20 minutes. Then add the crushed crackers evenly over top of the casserole and bake for another 20 minutes until golden brown on top. Sprinkle a little extra cheese on top during the last 10 minutes if you’d like.
- If you’d like to make a double batch, bake it in two separate baking dishes instead of trying to fit it all in a 9×13-inch dish.
- You can add the stems of the broccoli if you wish. I know some people love them! Just be sure to cut them up pretty small so they cook quickly and boil them along with the florets.
- like to use fresh broccoli florets but you can use frozen broccoli if you’d like. If it’s frozen, thaw it and drain it, then follow along with the directions. Again, it’s about not adding too much excess water.
Sure you can! Prepare and assemble the entire casserole but without the crackers on top. Wrap it and store it for up to 48 hours and then bring it to room temperature about 20 minutes before you bake it as directed.
Store leftover broccoli casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Just be sure it’s completely cooled otherwise you’ll trap moisture from the heat.
Yes, this is a freezer-friendly side dish. Mix all of the ingredients (except the cracker crumbs) and place them in a freezer-friendly casserole dish (or an aluminum foil tray). Then, seal it tight with plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil for extra protection and freeze the casserole for up to 3 months.
You can bake it right from frozen with some extra baking time or thaw it first in the fridge overnight. (remember to always place a cold dish in a cold oven and then turn it on to avoid the dish cracking)
Easy Broccoli Casserole
- 2 pounds broccoli cooked and drained
- 10.5 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon minced dry onion
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup butter cracker crumbs Ritz crackers
- Preheat oven to 375° F and grease a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
- In a large pot, add water and bring to a boil.
- Then add the broccoli florets and cook for 3-4 minutes.2 pounds broccoli
- Drain the cooked broccoli into a colander in the sink.
- In a medium bowl, add the chicken soup, mayo, cheese, minced onion, eggs, salt and pepper and stir to combine well.10.5 ounces cream of chicken soup, 1 cup mayonnaise, 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon minced dry onion, 2 large eggs
- Add the cooked and drained broccoli and stir to coat completely
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Then sprinkle the cracker crumbs over top of the entire dish and bake for another 20 minutes until golden brown.1 cup butter cracker crumbs
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected