This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad comes together quickly using a beautiful array of flavors from raw Brussels sprouts, crisp apples, cranberries, nuts, goat cheese, and a homemade vinaigrette!
Table of contents
Brussels Sprouts Salad with Vinaigrette
This shaved Brussel sprout salad is one of my favorite salad recipes! It’s fully loaded with contrasting flavors and textures that come together so beautifully! It’s made with apples that provide a crispy crunchy tartness, cranberries for sweetness, walnuts for a nutty crunch, and goat’s cheese for a creamy, tangy delicious bite!
Not to mention it’s dressed with vinaigrette giving it a zesty mustard dressing finish!
This delicious salad is so easy to make and provides the perfect side dish all year round. The apples, cranberries, and walnuts are great for your Thanksgiving holiday meal and/or Christmas dinner, and the Brussel sprouts and goat cheese are a dream combo during the summer, perfect for BBQs and Potlucks.
No matter what the occasion, this salad comes together easily for a light lunch, easy dinner, and of course a show-stopping side dish!
For the Mustard Vinaigrette
- Olive oil: A great neutral-tasting oil that is the base of the dressing and won’t overpower any other flavors. I like using extra virgin myself.
- Sweet onion: Not meant to be pungent but has great flavor. Shallots or red onion are another option.
- Dijon mustard: Dijon mustard has a bit more of a kick and has a spicier flavor to it than regular mustard does.
- Garlic, grated: Who doesn’t love a garlicky dressing? Grated garlic is less potent than chopped, so you’ll still get the garlic notes without heavy pungency.
- Lemon juiced: Freshly squeezed if you can! The acid balances the oil and brightens up the dressing.
- Fresh thyme, minced: Fresh herbs are a great way to finish and round out the sharp flavors.
For the Brussel Sprout Salad
- Brussel sprouts: Thinly shaved. It’s easiest and most convenient to use a mandolin. Be sure to remove the outer leaves first, and wash them!
- Diced apple: Any type of apple you want, whether super tart, too sweet, or juicy.
- Dried cranberries: You can choose to use ones that are coated in a bit of sugar or not, depending on your tastes.
- Roasted walnuts: Toasting walnuts brings out their nuttiness and crisps them up even more!
- Goat cheese crumbles A mild cheese that is super creamy and is a great textural component that pairs well with all the crunch!
How to Make this Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad Recipe
This recipe will come together in minutes! Here are the simple steps to making this shaved brussels sprout salad.
Step 1: In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing except the olive oil.
Step 2: Once everything is added, you’ll slowly whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is completely mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Step 3: Combine the shredded sprouts and other salad ingredients into a large bowl and drizzle the salad dressing overtop.
Step 4: Toss everything and enjoy immediately!
- Add crumbled, crispy bacon if desired. You can also add shredded rotisserie chicken if preferred.
- Swap the cranberries for dried cherries, raising, or pomegranate seeds.
- Use apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar instead of lemon juice.
- Grainy or regular mustard can be used in place of the Dijon if that’s what you have.
- Swap the walnuts for roasted chopped pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or almonds.
- Use feta, shaved Parmesan cheese, or blue cheese in place of goat cheese for a change. Add in a little baby arugula or spinach as well.
- Buy Brussel sprouts already shaved or brussels sprout slaw at the store for an easy shortcut.
- If you’re slicing whole Brussel sprouts, using a mandolin, the side of a box grater or even the shredding blade attachment of a food processor can work.
- Of course, a sharp knife and a cutting board never fail.
- Leave the onion out if you prefer it without.
- Enjoy the salad immediately as the apples turn brown after a while.
As mentioned above, this salad is best eaten right away just because the apples will turn brown and it doesn’t look as appealing anymore. However, it is completely safe to eat and can be enjoyed for up to 3-4 days when kept in the fridge.
Leftover dressing will stay fresh in a mason jar with a lid for up to 7 days in the fridge. Give it a good shake before pouring.
If you’re planning ahead and wanting to prep parts of this salad ahead of time, that’s a great idea! You can either slice the brussel sprouts and store them as is, or dress them with dressing. Either way, you’ll want to wait to add the rest of the toppings (especially the apples) until just before serving.
I recommend giving them a good soak, but typically the dirtiest parts will be the outer leaves. If once removed, they look clean to you, then a quick rinse should suffice.
It’s not only safe but super healthy and delicious!
Place them in a skillet over medium heat and toast them for 2-5 minutes. You have the option of using a bit of butter or oil, but it’s not a must. Nuts don’t take long at all, so keep a close eye on them!
This one is totally up to you. Granny Smith is nice and tart, whereas Fuji, Honeycrisp, or Ambrosia, might be sweeter and more to your liking.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
For the mustard Vinaigrette
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet onion or shallot chopped or minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 lemon juiced
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme minced
For the Brussel Sprout Salad
- 4 cups brussel sprouts shaved
- 1 apple diced
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup walnuts roasted and chopped
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
Making the Mustard Vinaigrette
- In a small bowl, add the shallot, dijon, garlic, lemon juice and thyme and whisk to combine.1 tablespoon sweet onion or shallot, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 2 cloves garlic, 1 lemon, ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- Add the olive oil, whisking constantly until the dressing is fully mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste.⅓ cup olive oil
Assembling the Salad
- In a large bowl, add the shaved brussel sprouts, apple, cranberries, walnuts, and goat cheese.4 cups brussel sprouts, 1 apple, ⅓ cup dried cranberries, ⅓ cup walnuts, 4 ounces goat cheese
- Drizzle the dressing over top and and toss to combine.
- Enjoy immediately.