These Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas are made with tender shredded chicken mixed with tangy buffalo sauce and gooey melted cheese all wrapped up in a warm, crispy tortilla. This easy recipe makes an easy lunch, dinner, or even a game day hearty appetizer.
The whole family will enjoy this if they love spicy food. Make sure to try these buffalo chicken wings or buffalo chicken mac and cheese for other favorite ways to use your favorite buffalo wing sauces.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Table of contents
Easy Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla
If you love buffalo flavor, this easy cheesy recipe uses simple ingredients and is loaded with flavor.
It’s a perfect quick meal! Especially if you use a store bought rotisserie chicken.
Oil – I used a bit of olive oil for this recipe.
Onion – Yellow or white onion will work great for this to help add additional flavor to the buffalo chicken quesadilla recipe.
Salt and Pepper
Garlic – Use minced garlic that is either from a jar or you mince yourself.
Chicken – You will want to use cooked and shredded chicken. This is a great for leftover rotisserie chicken.
Ranch Dressing – Make homemade ranch dressing or buy your favorite brand.
Buffalo wing sauce – You can control how hot or mild the wing sauce is. Use a homemade buffalo sauce if you have a recipe you enjoy.
Cilantro – Optional for added flavor.
Lime – The lime is going to really add tons of flavor to the quesadillas. The citrus brings out tons of flavor.
Tortillas – I used flour medium sized tortillas.
Cheese – Cheddar cheese and Monterey jack cheese was what we used. Make sure to shred the cheese or buy pre-shredded.
1. Use any oil you prefer. Avocado oil, vegetable oil can be used instead of olive oil.
2. Use a large flour tortilla instead of medium for a larger quesadilla. Fold half of each tortilla or make a jumbo quesadilla.
3. Place cooked quesadilla on a cutting board and use a pizza cutter to slice into wedges.
4. Use a whole wheat tortilla or low carb tortillas if preferred.
5. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese to the tortilla for added creaminess.
6. Mix a tablespoon of butter with additional buffalo wing sauce for dipping your quesadilla in.
7. Use any kind of leftover chicken, even breaded chicken strips work. Just dice it up.
8. Change up the cheese to mozzarella cheese, pepper jack cheese for more spicy flavor or any other favorite cheese varieties.
9. Top with blue cheese crumbles.
How to Make this Quesadilla Recipe
Step 1 – In a medium skillet add the oil and onion and saute for about 5 minutes until they become translucent. Then add the garlic and salt.
Step 2 – Remove the pan from the heat and add in the cooked chicken, buffalo and ranch, cilantro, lime juice, and pepper and stir to mix well.
Step 3 – Heat another pan over medium heat. Then place the tortilla in the skillet.
Step 4 – Add a layer of cheese over half the tortilla. Then as the cheese melts, fill the other side with the meat mixture.
Step 5: Once the tortilla is golden brown on bottom. Fold the tortilla in half. You can also spread the mixture over the whole tortilla and top with cheese and then place another tortilla on top. Then flip the tortilla over and allow the other side to become a crisp tortilla as well.
Slice and serve with additional buffalo sauce or ranch dressing.
- Make sure to start with a hot pan. This helps to create that crispy shell for extra tasty quesadillas!
- Use a good buffalo wing sauce as it is going to be a stand out flavor. ( I love Frank’s Red Hot)
- You can spread a thin layer of butter on the tortilla for the best crisp technique of the tortilla.
- This makes for a quick lunch, just serve with some celery sticks and carrots and enjoy.
- If you use a large tortilla, use a large skillet to ensure it doesn’t bend the tortilla.
- If you do not like cilantro leave it out or consider swapping with some green onions.
- Use low carb wrap instead of a tortilla if desired.
Place leftovers in an airtight container and store for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze the tortillas for 2-3 months in the freezer. Use a freezer container or wrap tortilla in parchment paper or plastic wrap then place in a freezer bag. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
For best reheating, place in a skillet on medium-high heat and let it warm up in the pan. Then flip the quesadilla and heat the other side.
Or for a quick reheat you can do the microwave. Just know the microwave is going to allow the tortilla to become a bit soft compared to the original crispy texture.
Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound chicken breast cooked and shredded
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 3 tablespoon buffalo wing sauce
- 2 teaspoon fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 10 tortillas medium-size
- 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 ½ cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
- In a medium skillet, add the olive oil and diced onion and sauté for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent and soft. Add the minced garlic and salt.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 yellow onion
- Cook for an additional minute, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant.½ teaspoon salt, 2 cloves garlic
- Remove the skillet from the stove and add in the cooked, shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, cilantro, lime juice, and pepper. Mix to combine well.1 pound chicken breast, ½ cup ranch dressing, 3 tablespoon buffalo wing sauce, 2 teaspoon fresh cilantro, ½ teaspoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat a separate medium skillet over medium heat.
- Place a tortilla in the skillet and add a little cheddar cheese and Monterey jack cheese about (2 tablespoons of each cheese) over one half of the tortilla.10 tortillas, 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese, 1 ½ cup Monterey jack cheese
- Fill the other side of the tortilla with chicken mixture and fold the other cheese half over top of the chicken side.
- Heat just until the tortilla is golden brown on the bottom. Then carefully flip it over and heat just until the other side is golden brown.
- Serve warm. Top with sour cream, and fresh chopped cilantro. Dip in ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected