Grab that mini muffin pan and whip up a batch of these fluffy and decadent Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins for a sweet treat or breakfast option. These are a homemade muffins that are studded with mini chocolate chips in each bite.
Here are a few more of my favorite muffin recipes for you to try. These peach muffins are out of this world. These lemon blueberry muffins and banana carrot muffins are more easy snack ideas.
Table of contents
Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins
This is such a simple muffin recipe that literally has everyone reaching for seconds. This is my go-to chocolate chip muffin recipe, and if you don’t want to make little muffins you can use a regular muffin tin and just adjust the cook time a bit.
If you love Entenmann’s Little Bites, you are going to be thrilled making these yourself! They’re perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even to pack in lunches for the week.
- All purpose flour – Make sure to measure your flour accurately. Scoop into the measuring cup and then use a knife to level it off.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda – Both are used for helping to create fluffy and light muffins.
- Salt – The salt is needed to help enhance all the flavors and give you a stand out muffin.
- Ground Cinnamon – This adds a bit of warmth to the muffins.
- Butter – If you use salted butter leave the salt out of the recipe. Otherwise reach for unsalted butter that is room temperature.
- Granulated White Sugar – The perfect way to sweeten up these bite size muffins.
- Vanilla Extract
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt – Either work for helping to give these muffins extra moisture. The sour cream makes them extra soft.
- Buttermilk – If you do not have buttermilk you can mix 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Mini Chocolate Chips – My chips were semi sweet chocolate so it gives these muffins the perfect amount of chocolate flavor in each bite.
Here are some changes you can make to this batch of chocolate chip mini muffins if you would like. This recipe uses basic ingredients that you might already have on hand in your pantry. Plus the swaps are basic ingredients as well.
1: Regular size muffins can be made my using a regular sized pan. Just cook the muffins a bit longer to ensure the muffins are fully cooked.
2: Sprinkle some coarse sugar or turbinado sugar on top of the muffins for a nice bakery style crunch factor.
3: Brown sugar can be swapped for regular white granulated sugar.
4: Swap out the vanilla extract for almond extract, orange extract or another fruit extract to give it a twist of flavor.
5: White chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, etc can be swapped for the mini chocolate chips in the recipe.
6: Spray the muffin tins with cooking spray if you don’t want to add liners to the muffins.
How to Make this Mini Muffin Recipe
Step 1: Preheat the oven as directed and then place liners in a mini muffin pan. Or spray with cooking spray and set the pan to the side.
Step 2: Next in a medium bowl, add the dry ingredients, and mix to combine. Set the flour mixture to the side.
Step 3: Next in a large bowl, using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together for 2-3 minutes. You want the wet ingredients to be light and fluffy.
Step 4: Add the eggs one at time, and add in the vanilla and the sour cream.
Step 5: Slowly add in the dry ingredients and alternate with buttermilk, ending with the buttermilk. Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon of the large mixing bowl to remove any stuck on batter and ensure it gets fully mixed.
Step 6: Fold in the mini chips, and then spoon batter into the muffin tin.
Step 7: Bake as directed and then place the muffins on cooling wire rack.
- Go right ahead and make a double batch of muffins if you want to serve a crowd. This is a fantastic baked goods for bake sales, gifting friends, or keeping on hand for grab-and-go snacks.
- The muffins are done when you stick a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean of wet muffin batter.
- Don’t over-mix the batter or it can make your muffins heavy.
Why are my chocolate chip muffins dry?
Muffins and other baked goods will usually become dry and dense if too much flour is used. That can easily happen if you don’t measure correctly. Or course using a food scale is the most accurate. But if you don’t own one, then it’s best to spoon the flour into a measuring cup and then level it off with the back of a butter knife.
Store your muffins at room temperature in an airtight container. The delicious muffins can store for 4-5 days at room temperature. They are great for quick breakfasts, snacks, and more.
This muffin recipe can be frozen as well. Just place your muffins in a freezer bag or freezer container. Then freeze the muffins for 3-4 months. This is an easy recipe to make a double batch of. Then freeze half of them for later.
If you like this recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe below. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram!
Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter 1 stick, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sour cream or nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400° F and place mini cupcake liners in a mini muffin pan. (you can also spray with cooking spray instead of using liners).
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a separate large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.½ cup butter, 1 cup sugar
- Add in one egg at a time and blend in.2 large eggs
- Then add the vanilla extract and sour cream and blend thoroughly.2 teaspoon vanilla extract, ¼ cup sour cream or nonfat greek yogurt
- Add in the dry ingredients in batches, alternating with buttermilk. (be careful not to over mix or muffins will be more dense)1 cup buttermilk
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips, saving a few to place on tops1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Scoop the muffin batter to the lined muffin tin.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow muffins to cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected
Leave a Reply