Instant Pot Sausage Spinach Soup is a hearty homestyle soup made with comfort and taste in mind. It’s loaded with tasty sausage, potatoes, sautéed veggies, and white beans, cooked in a deliciously seasoned broth. Made in less than 30 minutes in a pressure cooker, this soup is made with virtually no effort but all the flavor!
Soup season is one of my favorite seasons ever. There is nothing better than that warm, cozy feeling you get eating a big ole bowl. Some of our other favorites are this hearty chicken vegetable soup or this Tomato Basil Chicken Soup.
Chunks of juicy sausage sautéed with white beans, onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers creates a wonderful combination of deep flavors. The aroma in your kitchen is enough reason to make this soup! The addition of tender potatoes, white beans, and spinach along with a bit of heat from the red pepper flakes, only brings this incredibly satisfying soup to new heights.
This sausage and potato soup is made without cream, which makes it dairy-free, but still so thick and creamy. You can also make it gluten-free if you are sure your sausage has no fillers containing gluten. It’s a healthy soup that is perfect for everyone, and of course, can be customized to suit your own dietary needs.
Having quick and easy comfort soup recipes that are family-friendly, tasty and filling can mean the difference between stressing over what to make for dinner on a busy weeknight or having a go-to recipe that you know everyone will love.
This soup makes great leftovers, so make a big pot and enjoy it again for lunch the next day!
How to Make Sausage and Spinach Soup
Set your Instant Pot to saute mode and preheat until it says Hot.
Then, add oil, sausage, pepper, onions, and mushrooms and stir. Cook until sausage is no longer pink and cooked all the way through.
Add the beans, potatoes, broth, water, and spices (not the spinach!) and close the lid.
Set the valve to sealing and set your Instant Pot to Pressure Cook/Manual on high for 10 minutes.
Quick-release the valve once the timer goes off.
Remove the lid, and add the spinach. Stir to combine to allow the spinach to wilt.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Use mild or hot pork bulk sausage or your choice of Italian sausage. It’s much easier to get chunks of sausage without the casing.
- For a different, lighter flavor, try using turkey sausage instead of pork.
- For the beans, Great Northern or Cannellini beans are great. You can opt for red kidney beans if that’s what you have.
- To make a stovetop version, add oil, sausage, peppers, and onions to the pot. Saute until the sausage is cooked through and onion is soft. Then add the remaining ingredients (again, except the spinach) and cook until the potatoes are soft. Then add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Swap out the spinach for kale or chard as a different leafy green. They’re both tougher than spinach so will require extra wilting time.
- Use as little or as much of the red pepper flakes as you’d like, or completely omit them. If you’re using spicy sausage, that may be enough heat.
- Top off the soup with some croutons or a sprinkling of parmesan. It just means it’s no longer dairy or gluten free!
How to Store This Soup
Any leftovers will last up to 5 days in the fridge. Because this soup contains potatoes in it, I don’t recommend freezing it. Potatoes don’t freeze well. If you choose to leave them out, you can freeze the soup and add cooked cubed potatoes later. Add them in as you reheat the soup on the stove.
Don’t forget to check out our Instant Pot Sausage and Spinach Soup Web Story!
Instant Pot Sausage Spinach Soup
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup mushrooms diced
- 1 – 15.5 ounce can white beans
- 3 cups russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth reduced sodium
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté mode and preheat for 3-4 minutes.
- Once heated, add oil, sausage, pepper onion and mushrooms.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes until sausage is cooked through.
- Add the beans, potatoes, broth, water and spices (do not add spinach yet)
- Place the top on the Instant Pot and Close the valve to pressurize.
- Set to Manual – High Pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, turn the valve carefully and do a quick release.
- Remove the lid and add in the spinach and stir to combine and wilt the spinach.
- Serve and enjoy!