Chicken Vegetable Soup
My mother has made this soup my entire life! It is THE one that I look so forward to making and stocking my freezer with once the cool weather starts coming in.
This recipe makes a large batch that I usually get at least 3 -4 quarts to freeze as well as keeping a big container in the refrigerator to eat during the week I make it.
It is really more like a stew since it is so full of vegetables. And I absolutely love that it is another clean eating meal to serve my family.
My husband prefers his soup with some type of pasta. Growing up, we never had it with anything added but I do like it with a small orzo or ditalini too.
(1) 4-5 lb whole chicken
1 onion, chopped
(2) 2 lb bags of frozen mixed vegetables
1 lb bag of frozen green beans
1 lb bag of frozen corn
1 lb bag of lima beans
1 32 oz can of crushed or diced tomatoes
3 tsp or 3 cubes of no sodium chicken bouillon
pepper to taste
1 lb of ditalini, orzo or alphabet pasta, optional
How to Make Chicken Vegetable Soup
Clean Eating Chicken Vegetable Soup
This clean eating Chicken Vegetable Soup is so hearty and yummy. This recipes makes a large batch for freezing too.
- 4 pound whole chicken
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 pounds bags of frozen mixed vegetables
- 16 ounces bag of frozen green beans
- 16 ounces bag of frozen corn
- 16 ounces bag of lima beans
- 32 ounces can of crushed or diced tomatoes
- 3 tsp or 3 cubes of no sodium chicken bouillon
- pepper to taste
- 1 lb of ditalini orzo or alphabet pasta, optional
- Fill a large stock pot half full of water and place chicken in the water.
- Bring water to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the water and place in a baking dish to cool.
- Add all frozen vegetables, crushed tomatoes and chicken bouillon to the water.
- Bring to boil, then cover and reduce to simmer.
- Remove chicken meat from the bones and shred into pieces. I do this with my food processor or by hand.
- Simmer for 4-5 hours total.
- Serve over pasta cooked separately.