This Chicken Vegetable Soup is loaded with many wholesome vegetables in a delicious tomato broth. It’s a hearty meal the entire family will love.
My mother has made this soup my entire life! It is THE one that I look so forward to making and stocking my freezer with once the cool weather starts coming in.
Chicken Vegetable Soup
This recipe makes a large batch that I usually get at least 3 -4 quarts to freeze as well as keeping a big container in the refrigerator to eat during the week I make it.
It is really more like a stew since it is so full of vegetables. And I absolutely love that it is another clean eating meal to serve my family.
My husband prefers his soup with some type of pasta. Growing up, we never had it with anything added but I do like it with a small Orzo pasta, Ditalini pasta or, the kids favorite, ABC pasta. We have served it over rice plenty of times as well.
How to Make Chicken Vegetable Soup
This soup begins by cooking a whole chicken in a stock pot. Fill the pot with enough water to cover the whole chicken by about 2 inches. After boiling for about 30 minutes, remove the chicken from the water (now a delicious broth) and add the vegetables and tomatoes.
Once the chicken has cooled to touch, remove all the meat from the bones. I just shred it by hand as I am removing it.
I like to cook my soup for a long time. After adding the shredded chicken back in, I like to simmer it for at least 4 hours. The flavors become so much more robust.
Ingredients for Chicken Vegetable Soup
(1) 4-5 lb whole chicken
1 onion, chopped
(2) 2 lb bags of frozen mixed vegetables
1 lb bag of frozen green beans
1 lb bag of frozen corn
1 lb bag of lima beans
1 32 oz can of crushed or diced tomatoes
3 tsp or 3 cubes of no sodium chicken bouillon (for additional hearty flavor)
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb of ditalini, orzo or alphabet pasta, optional
What Vegetables Do You Use in Chicken Soup
You can use so many varieties of vegetables in this soup. I have listed my favorites and what my mother always put in hers. But you can also add potatoes, zucchini, celery, etc.
More Healthy Soups to try:
Clean Eating Chicken Vegetable Soup
This clean eating Chicken Vegetable Soup is so hearty and yummy. This recipes makes a large batch for freezing too.
- 4 pound whole chicken
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 pounds bags of frozen mixed vegetables
- 16 ounces bag of frozen green beans
- 16 ounces bag of frozen corn
- 16 ounces bag of lima beans
- 32 ounces can of crushed or diced tomatoes
- 3 tsp or 3 cubes of no sodium chicken bouillon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb ditalini orzo or alphabet pasta, optional
- Fill a large stock pot half full of water and place chicken in the water.
- Bring water to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the water and place in a baking dish to cool.
- Add all frozen vegetables, crushed tomatoes and chicken bouillon to the water.
- Bring to boil, then cover and reduce to simmer.
- Remove chicken meat from the bones and shred into pieces. I do this with my food processor or by hand.
- Simmer for 4-5 hours total.
- Serve over pasta cooked separately.