This easy Tomato Basil Chicken Soup is a healthy and robust meal made with canned tomatoes and other simple ingredients. It’s a perfect homemade soup for a cozy lunch or dinner any day.
Some days I just crave soup! Yesterday was one of those cold days that called for it. I loved tomato soup growing up and decided to make a new version with a little twist. I added some shredded chicken for extra protein. You could certainly leave it out if you’d like and have a great Tomato Basil Soup alone as well. It is amazing with a grilled cheese alongside!
This is a very quick soup to make. I happened to have already had some shredded chicken in the freezer from my batch crockpot cooking. But if you don’t, just saute a couple of boneless chicken breasts real quick in pan on the stove until cooked no longer link in the center and then shred with a fork or my favorite way, pulse the cooked chicken in a food processor to shred it quickly.
Then I never would have thought to include basil pesto as a soup ingredient but it adds such an amazing flavor and it’s so easy.
The rest takes just about 20 minutes until is ready for you to eat. Top with a little sprinkle of parmesan cheese. a great healthy meal. My hubs even added Ditalini pasta to his and made it even heartier.
Ingredients Needed for this Tomato Soup with Chicken
Olive or coconut oil
Cooked chicken breast
Chicken or vegetable stock
Can of whole plum tomatoes
Can of diced tomatoes
Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
How to Make This Quick Tomato Soup with Canned Tomatoes
In a large pot, add olive oil, garlic and onions and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Stir in stock of choice, tomatoes and diced tomatoes.
Brig to a boil.
Cover pot and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Return the soup to pot and add basil pesto and shredded chicken.
Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Top with parmesan cheese if desired
Can I Use This Tomato Soup with Fresh Tomatoes?
Yes, you absolutely can use fresh tomatoes if you prefer. You can use fresh Roma tomatoes or other varieties too. It will increase the cooking time a little. Wash and cut about 3 pounds of fresh tomatoes into about 1 inch pieces. Then add the tomatoes, onion and garlic to the pot. Cook them for about 25-30 minutes. Then add all the additional ingredients as stated in the recipe card below.
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 cups of cooked chicken breast shredded
- 1 cup sweet onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 28 oz can of whole plum tomatoes
- 1 12 oz can of diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- Parmesan cheese grated (optional)
- In a stockpot, add olive oil, garlic and onions and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock of choice, tomatoes and diced tomatoes.
- Brig to a boil.
- Cover pot and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- In small batches, add the soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to pot and add basil pesto and shredded chicken.
- Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Top with parmesan cheese if desired
Adapted form Our State Magazine