This mouthwatering Tomato Basil Chicken Soup is healthy, robust and so quick to make. Perfect for a cozy lunch or dinner any day.
Another cold weekend had me craving another warm and cozy soup recipe to make. My aunt actually sent me a recipe last week she had made from Our State magazine in NC that she said was really great!
So I decided yesterday was the perfect day to whip it up with a little twist. I added some shredded chicken for the protein I try to get in each meal. You could certainly leave it out if you’d like and have a great Tomato Basil Soup alone as well.
I never would have thought to include basil pesto as a soup ingredient but it adds such an amazing flavor. So easy too.
This is a very quick soup to make. I happened to have already had some shredded chicken in the freezer from my batch crockpot cooking. But if you don’t, no worries. Just saute a couple of boneless chicken breasts real quick and then pulse it in a food processor to shred it quickly.
The rest takes just about 20 minutes until yumminess is ready for you. Top with a little sprinkle of parmesan cheese. a great healthy lunch. My hubs even added rice to his and made it even heartier.
2 Tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
2 cups of cooked chicken breast, shredded
1 cup sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 28 oz can of whole plum tomatoes
1 12 oz can of diced tomatoes
1/4 cup basil pesto
Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
How to Make Tomato Basil Chicken Soup
In a large pot, add olive oil, garlic and onions and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Stir in stock of choice, tomatoes and diced tomatoes.
Brig to a boil.
Cover pot and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Return the soup to pot and add basil pesto and shredded chicken.
Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Top with parmesan cheese if desired
Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 cups of cooked chicken breast shredded
- 1 cup sweet onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 28 oz can of whole plum tomatoes
- 1 12 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- Parmesan cheese grated (optional)
- In a stockpot, add olive oil, garlic and onions and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock of choice, tomatoes and diced tomatoes.
- Brig to a boil.
- Cover pot and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- In small batches, add the soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to pot and add basil pesto and shredded chicken.
- Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Top with parmesan cheese if desired
Adapted form Our State Magazine