Stuffing is one those side dishes that I wish I made much more often than I do. It goes so great with the slow cooker turkey breast and is so easy to make. It’s nice that you can get a really wonderful flavored stuffing without having to stuff a turkey.
This stuffing recipe is the basic cubed bread, onion and herbs. But I love adding sausage, mushrooms and chicken stock as well. It is packed full of flavor and will certainly get a thumbs up from your dinner guests.
Don’t miss a recipe or fun tip! Subscribe to the To Simply Inspire newsletter.
- 12 oz of pork sausage
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 3 TBSP of poultry seasoning
- 1 TBSP of sage
- 1 24 oz. loaf of white bread, cut into ¾ cubes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the sausage about 8-10 minutes, until no longer pink, breaking it apart as you cook. Set aside.
- Add the oil and onions to the pan and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, sage, poultry seasoning and pepper and saute until mushrooms are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Break the eggs in a separate little bowl and beat.
- In a large bowl, mix the veggies, sausage, and bread in a large bowl and mix in the stock and beaten eggs until all of the bread is moist.
- Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes the remove the foil and continue cooking until the top turns golden brown, about 10 minutes.