These Sugar Cookie Blossoms are a delicious twist on the standard sugar cookie. They are buttery cookie rolled in sugar sprinkles and topped with a Hershey’s Sugar Cookie Kiss in the center of each cookie and are a fun addition to your baking list for the holiday season.
Table of contents
Holiday Sugar Cookie Blossoms
Skip the classic peanut butter blossom cookies and whip up these new holiday sugar cookie blossoms that are bursting with holiday cheer! A classic blossom cookie with a Christmas twist. However, they are not only a great Christmas cookie, they are also a wonderful springtime cookie for Easter blossom sugar cookies version!
Easy cookies are always a favorite of mine, and cookie blossoms are a fun way to serve sugar cookies. If you are looking for a new cookie swap cookie, this is one that is always a hit.
Butter – Unsalted butter is what I used. If you have salted butter you can use that just do not add in the ¼ teaspoon of salt from the recipe.
White Sugar – Granulated sugar is used to give these cookies the perfect amount of sweetness in each bite.
Egg – Room temperature eggs are great for baking but it is okay if you forgot to set it out.
Pure Vanilla Extract – a staple flavor for sugar cookies.
All Purpose Flour – Be sure to scoop the flour into the measuring cup and then level it off with a knife.
Baking Soda – This is going to give your cookies that fluffy texture that makes the sugar cookie mix rise up as it bakes.
Milk – The milk is going to help add some wetness to help bring the dough together perfectly.
Salt – Just regular table salt is needed.
Colored sugar – I used red and green sugar crystals, they give these cookies the perfect holiday cookie look without changing the texture of the cookies much.
Hershey Kiss – I used the sugar cookie Kisses but if you can’t find those you can use any flavor of a Hershey Kiss for these cookies.
1. You can change the flavor of the cookies to a chocolate cookie recipe by adding in some ¼ cup cocoa powder.
2. Use a chocolate kiss or mint kiss in replace of the sugar cookie kiss for the Hershey Kiss cookies.
3. Little helpers will love topping the cookies with the candies. You could also melt chocolate and drizzle over the top of the chewy sugar cookie.
4. Use boxed or bagged cookie mix instead of making a homemade cookie mix.
5. Roll the dough balls in a thick coating of red or green colored sugar prior to baking for more vibrant colors.
6. Add ½ teaspoon of almond extract or mint extract.
How to Make These Blossom Cookies
Step 1 – Preheat the oven and place parchment paper on an ungreased cookie sheet and set aside.
Step 2 – In a large bowl, add the softened butter and sugar and cream until light and fluffy. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer for whipping up the butter and sugar.
Step 3 – Next, add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix until blended.
Step 4 – After blending the dry ingredients, add the the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, mixing and scraping down the sides.
Step 5: Add in the milk, and once combined, add in the sprinkles and combine until blended.
Step 6: Cover and refrigerate the sugar cookie base dough in the fridge as directed.
Step 7: Using a cookie scoop, scoop up the dough and roll into smooth balls and bake as directed, then remove from the oven and place a Hershey Kiss in the center.
Allow the cookies to cool and then serve and enjoy this holiday favorite treat.
- Add the dry ingredients into a separate bowl and mix before you add into the wet. This will ensure the flour mixture blends nicely.
- Don’t rush when you cream butter with the sugar. I like to mix for around 3 minutes. It transforms the dough.
- Don’t skip refrigerating the sugar cookie dough, otherwise they will fall flat as the festive cookie dough bakes in the oven.
These easy cookies can be stored at room temperature for up to 4-5 days. Just place in an airtight container or a sealed bag.
Yes, these cookies do freeze really well. Just place in a freezer container or freezer bag. Then freeze for up to 2 months. When you want a cookie or two, place on the counter for a quick thaw. You can also freeze the uncooked dough balls, flash freeze them on a cookie sheet for an hour then then place them in a freezer safe baggie. When ready to bake, thaw in the refrigerator and then bake as directed.
Sugar Cookie Blossoms
- ½ cup butter unsalted softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Red and green sugar crystals
- Hershey’s Sugar Cookie Kisses
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add the butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.½ cup butter, 1 cup white sugar
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until blended in.1 large egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Gradually add the flour, baking soda, and salt to the batter and blend just until there are no lumps of flour.2 cups all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Then pour in the 2 tablespoons of milk and mix it in.2 tablespoons milk
- Add the red and green sugar crystals and gently stir them into the dough.Red and green sugar crystals
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop about 1 ½ tablespoons of dough and roll it into a smooth ball and place them on the lined baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies 12-14 minutes, until the edges begin to turn light brown.
- Remove from the oven and gently press a Hershey’s Kiss into the top of each cookie immediately.Hershey’s Sugar Cookie Kisses
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.