This creamy White Lasagna Soup is the perfect comforting choice for weeknight cooking or weekend coziness. It’s a cheesy soup is loaded with Italian sausage, carrots, celery, onions, kale, cheese, lasagna noodles and more with rich flavors that is such a favorite.
This will instantly become a new favorite the whole family can enjoy. You can also try this classic lasagna soup, this beer cheese soup or try this slow cooker chicken gnocchi soup. These are all incredible soups as well.
Table of contents
Creamy White Lasagna Soup
This lasagna soup is a twist on traditional lasagna. It’s so easy to whip up with simple everyday ingredients. It takes just 25 minutes to make and is filling enough to count as a full meal.
Making a hearty soup is great for chilly days. But I have found myself making this anytime I’m craving comfort food and it totally hits the spot.
Italian Sausage – I used Italian sausage for this, but you can swap with ground beef, ground turkey, diced boneless chicken thighs or breasts, etc.
Vegetables – Carrots, onion, celery, garlic, and kale are used for really enhancing the soup.
Italian seasoning – This will give your soup more Italian flavor next to the Italian sausage.
Butter – The butter is going to help with making the roux.
Flour – The flour is going to be the thickening agent for the soup.
Lasagna Noodles – You will want to break up the noodles into 4 pieces.
Heavy Cream – Heavy cream is used to help offer the creamy broth to the soup. It will richen the flavor too. You can also use whole milk or even low fat milk.
Cheese – I used shredded mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese for this lasagna soup. You could use just one type of cheese but I loved both it enhanced the flavor even more.
1. Use fresh spinach in replace of kale.
2. Make a creamy chicken lasagna soup by adding in pre-cooked shredded chicken, diced or ground chicken instead of Italian sausage.
3. Add red pepper flakes to spice up the soup.
4. Change up the fresh veggies used in the soup – bell pepper, yellow onion, zucchini, etc.
5. Instead of heavy cream, use a block of cream cheese.
6. If you use low-fat milk or non-dairy milk, add an extra tablespoon of flour to thicken it a little more.
How to Make this Lasagna Soup Recipe
Full directions are in the printable recipe card, this is a quick walk through on how to make this simple one-pot soup.
Step 1: In a large Dutch oven or a large soup pot, add in the sausage and cook over medium heat until the soup is fully cooked.
Step 2: Then add in the fresh vegetables and saute for 5-7 minutes. You want to cook the veggies to soften them a bit.
Step 3: Then add in the minced garlic and Italian seasoning. Saute till fragrant.
Step 4: Add in the butter and let it melt. Then sprinkle the flour in the pan and stir to combine with veggies.
Step 5: Slowly add in the broth stirring constantly as you are pouring it in. Then increase the heat and bring mixture to a boil.
Step 6: Add in the broken noodles and cook as directed in the recipe card. Then toss in the kale, to cook and soften the greens.
Step 7: Next pour in the cream, and both varieties of cheese, and then season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the sausage after cooking to remove excess grease.
- Leave the lasagna noodles longer if you’d like.
- Use a pre-cut mirepoix vegetable mix that you can find in most grocery stores for convenience.
If you have leftover soup just store the soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Warm in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minutes and then stir and heat for 30 second intervals until it’s reached the desired temperature. For multiple servings, heat on the stovetop in a pot at medium heat until desired temperature.
Creamy White Lasagna Soup
- 1 pound Italian sausage mild or hot
- 2 large carrot sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 lasagna noodles broken into 4 equal pieces
- 4 cups kale stemmed and cut into
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, add the Italian sausage and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, crumbling it as it cooks.1 pound Italian sausage
- Then, add the carrots, onion, and celery and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are tender.2 large carrot, 1 stalk celery, 1 medium onion
- Add the minced garlic and Italian seasoning and stir to combine.2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Add in the butter and once melted sprinkle the flour over top then stir until all of the flour has coated the vegetables.2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly as it’s added.4 cups chicken broth
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 2 minutes less directed on the box, approximately 8 minutes. (If the noodles are not fully covered with liquid, add up to 1 cup of water.)8 lasagna noodles
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the kale. Stir and cook for an additional 2 minutes.4 cups kale
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the heavy cream, shredded mozzarella, and parmesan.1 cup heavy cream, 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Stir until the cheeses have melted. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and serve with your favorite bread.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected