A creamy bacon dill cheese ball is the easiest and most delicious way to please a hungry crowd! A classic appetizer loaded with the flavors of bacon and dill is always a hit at parties. It is totally customizable to your tastes but this version is by far one of the best!
When cheese and bacon are the main ingredients in, well, absolutely anything, you know whatever it is will be amazing. This bacon and dill cheese ball recipe does not disappoint! The cool cream cheese combined with the sweet and smoky flavor of the bacon accompanied by the hint of dill and green onions. Not to mention biting into the crunchy almond exterior! It’s not hard to see why it’s the first thing polished off.
I mean, yeah, it’s definitely a crowd favorite at holiday parties, game day parties or girls night in, but I, for one, am just as happy making it for Friday family movie night. It’s total comfort food!
Serve alongside a variety of sturdy crackers to scoop up that cream cheese goodness and you’re in for a yummy bite. This cheese ball is brimming with flavor so the cracker really is just a vessel. Use whatever you have on hand but if you’re opting to go a little fancy, just keep in mind if you’re using a seasoned cracker you want one that will complement the bacon and dill and not overpower it.
This easy appetizer will become one of your appetizer staples from here on out. It comes together quickly, is very budget friendly and is great for a make ahead app because it keeps in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, Talk about convenient and low fuss!
How to Make This Bacon Cheese Ball
You’ll want to make sure your bacon is cooked and crumbled and your cream cheese is at room temperature before you start. Then, gather your ingredients.
In a bowl, blend the cream cheese and mayo together. If your cream cheese is soft enough you might be able to get away with using a whisk. If not, save your arms and use a hand mixer.
Mix in the the diced scallions, dill, pepper and bacon crumble.
Find space on your counter and spread out a piece of plastic wrap. Using a spatula, spoon out entire mixture onto the wrap and fold it around the cheese, forming a ball (or a log to be honest!).
Refrigerate until set. If you won’t be serving it for a while, keep it in the fridge until you’re ready and only then add the almond crust.
Once it is set and you’re ready to prepare it for serving, unwrap the plastic wrap and roll the cheese in the sliced almonds. Making sure to coat all of it evenly.
Serve with crackers and enjoy sharing with your loved ones!
- Although it keeps in the fridge for up to 14 days in an airtight container, you want to bring it to room temperature just before serving. There’s nothing worse than trying to dip a cracker into hardened cream cheese and losing half the cracker!
- Serve with a butter knife and napkins, along with the crackers. Again, broken crackers.
- Switch it up from time to time and try rolling it in pecans instead of almonds.
- Swap the mayo for sour cream if that’s what you have. It will still be creamy but might also add a nice tartness.
- Include some sharp cheddar for added cheesy flavor.
- Substitute the scallions for regular white onion. Cook the bacon and onion together ahead of time and use it that way. So good!
How long can a cheese ball stay out of the fridge?
It’s made of mostly dairy, so not long. Probably just long enough for people to enjoy, and once everyone has had their fill, put any leftovers in the fridge. It shouldn’t stay out any longer than 2 hours.
Bacon Dill Cheese Ball
- 8 ounce light cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 5 slices bacon crumbled
- 1 tbsp Scallions white part only
- 1/2 tsp Dill
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Blend cream cheese and mayo together
- Mix in the scallions, dill, pepper and bacon.
- Spread out a piece of plastic wrap and spoon to mixture onto it and fold the plastic wrap around the mixture.
- Form it into a ball.
- Refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours.
- Remove from wrap and roll in sliced almonds. I find it easiest to put the ball on a plate of almonds then turn it over to coat the other side. Then roll the sides.
- Serve with crackers.