A creamy Bacon Cheese Ball is a classic make-ahead appetizer for any party including Christmas, New Year’s and game days. It takes less than five minutes to prepare and is a hit with everyone who tries it.
Need a few more easy appetizer recipes to make? These Bisquick Sausage Balls and this hot crab dip are always favorites too!
Table of contents
When cheese and bacon are the main ingredients in, well, absolutely anything, you know whatever it is will be amazing and in this homemade cheese ball recipe it does not disappoint!
The cream cheese combined with the smoky flavor of the bacon accompanied by the hint of dill and green onions. Not to mention biting into the crunchy almond exterior! It’s not hard to see why it’s the first thing polished off.
Serve this easy cheese ball with a variety of your favorite crackers, bagel chips, pita chips or pretzels to scoop up the yumminess.
This easy appetizer will become one of your appetizer staples from here on out. It comes together quickly, is very budget friendly and is great for a make ahead app because it keeps in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
How to Make This Bacon Cheese Ball Recipe
Step 1 – You’ll want to make sure your bacon is cooked and crumbled and your cream cheese is at room temperature before you start. Then, gather the other simple ingredients.
Step 2 – In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, mayo, crumbled bacon, dill, scallions and pepper. You can use a hand mixer if needed.
Step 3 – Mix in the the diced scallions
Step 4 – Spread a large piece of plastic wrap out on the counter. Using a spatula, spoon out entire cream cheese mixture onto the wrap and fold it around the cheese and form it into a ball shape.
Step 5 – Refrigerate until set. If you won’t be serving it for a while, keep it in the fridge until you’re ready and only then add the almond slivers. Adding them too early will make them soggy.
Step 6 – Once it is set and you’re ready to prepare it for serving, unwrap the plastic wrap and roll the ball in the sliced almonds. Making sure to coat all of it evenly.
Serve with crackers and enjoy!
Variations & Substitutions
- Switch it up from time to time and try rolling it in chopped pecans instead of almonds.
- Swap the mayo for sour cream if that’s what you have. It will still be creamy but might also add a nice tartness.
- Include some shredded sharp cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese for added cheesy flavor.
- Substitute the scallions for regular white onion. Cook the bacon and onion together ahead of time and use it that way. So good!
- Roll them into bite-size mini cheese balls and place a pretzel stick in each one for a fun twist at holiday parties.use a cookie scoop for equal sizes.
- Add a tablespoon of dry ranch seasoning for a bacon ranch cheese ball recipe.
- Use real bacon bits in a jar for a quicker prep if desired.
- Add a teaspoon of garlic powder if desired.
- Although it keeps in the fridge for up to 14 days in an airtight container, you want to bring it to room temperature for a few minutes just before serving. There’s nothing worse than trying to dip a cracker into hardened cream cheese and losing half the cracker!
- Serve with a butter knife and napkins, along with the crackers. Again, broken crackers.
How long can a cheese ball stay out of the fridge?
It’s made of mostly dairy, so not long. Probably just long enough for people to enjoy, and once everyone has had their fill, put any leftovers in the fridge. It shouldn’t stay out any longer than 2 hours.
If you like this recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram!
Bacon Cheese Ball
- 8 ounce light cream cheese
- ½ cup mayo
- 5 slices bacon crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Scallions white part only
- ½ teaspoon Dill
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Blend cream cheese and mayo together
- Mix in the scallions, dill, pepper and bacon.
- Spread out a piece of plastic wrap and spoon to mixture onto it and fold the plastic wrap around the mixture.
- Form it into a ball.
- Refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours.
- Remove from wrap and roll in sliced almonds. I find it easiest to put the ball on a plate of almonds then turn it over to coat the other side. Then roll the sides.
- Serve with crackers.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected
I love your combination of Dill and Bacon for this awesome Cheese Ball. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
I love cheeseballs now and then. Sounds like a yummy recipe! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
Easy Peasy Life Matters
Love how yummy and easy this is to make!! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
I truly miss the cheese balls of my childhood. Thanks for helping to bring them back in style!
April J Harris
What a lovely cheeseball with so many great flavours! I like that it uses low fat cream cheese too. Pinned! Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop.
That looks absolutely fabulous
Looks delicious! I usually just use shredded cheddar, cream cheese, onion and paprika. The bacon adds a nice addition!
The bacon is a game changer! 🙂
Karren S Haller
This would be great for entertaining, love the almonds!!
Thank you for sharing on the #OMHGWW this week!
Hope to see you next week!
Have a wonderful Weekend!
Yum! Printed this off and can’t wait to try it! Happy to be your neighbor at What Joy is Mine Linkup!
Wow! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays 😀 Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.
Looks delicious!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!
I will be making this one, it looks delicious ! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
Come Back Soon,
this sounds SO good! i’m going to pin it so i remember to make it soon 🙂