If you are a lover of cookies and cheesecake, you will enjoy these delicious Cheesecake Cookies. A buttery homemade thumbprint cookie that with a cheesecake filling in the center of each cookie.
Table of contents
Best Cheesecake Cookie Recipe
These creamy, decadent, New York Style Cheesecake Cookies are as delicious as cheesecake and so simple to make! The cream cheese filling really makes these soft cookies over the top.
These delicious cookies can be made for the holiday season, or a year round bite-size dessert for parties, baby showers and more.
Butter – I do recommend using softened unsalted butter (at room temperature). This is going to ensure the texture of the cookie. If you use salted butter, skip the salt in the recipe.
Sugar – Use granulated sugar for this recipe, as it will add the perfect amount of sweetness to the cookie.
Salt – Salt is going to enhance the flavor of the cookie dough and the creamy cheesecake filling.
Flour – Scoop the flour into the measuring cup and then level it off with the back a butter knife. (or use a food scale).
Egg – Use the egg yolk only for this recipe.
Sour Cream – Sour cream is perfect for this cheesecake filling as it is going to ad a nice sour and tangy flavor to the cookie.
Cream Cheese – Use softened cream cheese, as this is the base to the cheesecake filling.
Vanilla – The vanilla will help to blend all the flavors together.
1. Graham crackers can be crumbled on top of the baked cookies as it will give it more of a cheesecake flavor. You can also purchase graham cracker crumbs in stores.
2. Stir in ½ cup of white chocolate chips to the cookie dough for a sweet flavor.
3. Make them into a strawberry cheesecake cookies by adding on some fresh, finely diced strawberries or strawberry pie filling. Or top with other fruit fillings if you’d like.
4. Add in a teaspoon of lemon juice to the cheesecake filling for more of a tart flavor. You can also add in a tablespoon of lemon zest to the cookie dough.
How to Make this Cookie Recipe
Step 1 – Preheat the oven and line a large baking sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Step 2 – For the cheesecake filling, add the cream cheese and sugar to a large bowl blend with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until creamy.
Step 3 – Add in the egg yolk, sour cream, and vanilla extract and blend in. Then refrigerate the cheesecake batter for 30 minutes.
Step 4: In a medium bowl ,add the dry ingredients for the cookies and mix to set aside.
Step 5: Then in a separate bowl, add the butter and sugar. Cream together until light and fluffy about 2 minutes.
Step 6: Add in the egg yolk and vanilla extract mixing to combine. Then add in the dry ingredients in batches mixing on low speed just until there are no lumps of flour. (be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as you mix).
Step 7: Use a cookie scoop, roll into smooth balls and place on the cookie sheet. Use the back of a measuring spoon and create a well/hole in the center of the each ball of dough.
Step 8: Bake the cookies for 10 minutes.
Step 9: Remove and add the cream cheese filling in the center of the cookie. Then finish baking as for another 10 minutes.
Allow the cookies to cool for a couple of minutes and then move them to a cooling rack.
- I recommend using a high speed mixer for this recipe. Creaming the butter and sugar for cookies really transforms the texture of the cookies.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture into the cookie centers or put the mixture in a plastic baggie piping bag and cut the corner off to pipe the cream cheese mixture into the centers.
- Use a cookie scoop will ensure the cookies are all evenly shaped and bake evenly.
- Pushing the cookies down in the center of the ball of cookie dough will be where to place the cream cheese mixture.
- Ensure the cream cheese is softened to room temperature.
Store the cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days . Or you can place cookies on a platter and wrap tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
You can freeze the cookies in an airtight container or freezer bag. Store the cookies for up to 2 months in the freezer. Thaw the cookies in the fridge overnight or on the counter.
For the Filling
- 4 ounce cream cheese softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
For the Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Make the filling:
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the cream cheese and sugar and beat on medium speed with an electric mix together until well blended.4 ounce cream cheese, ¼ cup sugar
- Add the egg yolk, sour cream, vanilla extract and salt and continue mixing until everything is evenly mixed.1 egg yolk, 2 teaspoons sour cream, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract, ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Make the cookies:
- In a medium bowl, add the flour and salt and mix to combine.2 cups flour, ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed with an electric mixer until creamed together well. (or use the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment).1 cup butter, ¼ cup sugar
- Add in the egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat until combined.1 egg yolk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the flour mixture gradually in ½ cup batches, blending on low speed after each addition, until it is all added. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times.
- Using a tablespoon sized cookie scoop, scoop dough and roll into balls and place on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Using the back of a teaspoon measuring spoon, your finger or the handle of a wooden spoon, gently press a well/hole into the center of each dough ball.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, carefully press in the center of each cookie again and fill with the cream cheese filling.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes until the filling has set.
- After removing from the oven, allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected