Perfect for the holiday season, these Christmas Oreos are so easy to make by dipping red velvet Oreos in candy melts and decorating with drizzles and sprinkles. Whether for holiday parties, as a gift, or just a sweet treat for yourself, these cookies are sure to be a hit!
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Christmas Dipped Oreos
These easy Christmas cookies are not just tasty treats, their vibrant colors make them standout on any cookie tray. If you like giving a homemade Christmas gift to friends and neighbors, these are perfect to wrap up in a cute holiday gift box.
This has been a fun tradition of ours for years, I always loved watching my kids unleash their inner artist with decorating them. You can get as creative as you’d like. Use candy wafers in Christmas colors as a base or drizzles to start creating your best Christmas design. We like making Grinch inspired ones with a little red heart (or red m&m) too.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card with amounts.
- Red Velvet Oreos: The base of these festive cookies.
- Light Green Candy Melts: For the smooth, melted chocolate coating.
- Sprinkles: Adds a touch of love and decorative flair to each cookie.
- Dark Green Sanding Sugar (Optional): Gives an extra sparkle.
- Feel free to use Mint Oreos, Golden Oreos, classic Oreo or the seasonal holiday Oreos with red creme filling.
- Use melted white chocolate chips or other colored melting wafers for drizzle options.
- Get creative with different festive sprinkles or jimmies in place of sanding sugar.
- Dip in melted milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, or almond bark instead of colored candy melts.
How to Make Oreo Christmas Cookies
Step 1: Line baking sheets with parchment paper to place the dipped cookies on.
Step 2: Reserve ½ cup of candy melts for the drizzle.
Step 3: Melt the remaining candy melts using a double boiler or a microwave-safe bowl, being careful to avoid overheating.
Step 4: With a fork, dip each Oreo cookie in the melted candy. When lifting out, gently tap the fork against the edge of the double boiler or bowl to remove the excess chocolate coating.
Step 5: Place it on the parchment paper and continue dipping the remaining cookies.
Step 6: Place the reserved ½ cup of candy melts to a microwave safe plastic piping bag. Twist it shut and then microwave on 50% power level or the defrost mode for 1 minute. Then remove and massage the bag and repeat for another 30 seconds. Remove and massage the bag again. Repeat for another 30 seconds if need to melt them completely.
Step 7: Cut a small amount off the tip of the bag and drizzle it over each of the Oreos. Decorate with sprinkles and optional sanding sugar before the candy sets.
Step 8: Allow the candy coating to set completely, either at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Follow the instructions on the candy melts package for the best melting results.
- Use wax paper as an alternative to parchment paper for lining the baking sheets.
- If the candy melts get too thick, reheat them for 20-30 seconds, just be very careful not to overheat.
How to Store?
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. I like to place parchment paper between layers to keep them from sticking together.
- 12.2 ounce package Red Velvet Oreos
- 10 ounces light green candy melts
- Heart sprinkles
- Dark green sanding sugar optional
- Line baking trays with parchment paper.
- Place ½ cup of light green candy melt aside in a bowl for the drizzle.10 ounces light green candy melts
- In a double boiler bowl, add the remaining melting wafers and heat over low heat stirring often until melted.
- (You can add the wafers to a microwave-safe bowl and heat at 50% power level or defrost mode for 30 seconds. Then stir and repeat again for another 30 seconds and stir again).
- Using a fork, dip each Oreo cookie into the melted wafers to coat it completely.12.2 ounce package Red Velvet Oreos
- Lift it out with the fork and gently tap the fork against the edge of the double boiler or bowl to remove the excess coating.
- Place it onto the lined cookie sheet and repeat with all of the remaining Oreos.
- Place the reserved ½ cup of candy melts to a microwave safe plastic piping bag. Twist it shut and then microwave on 50% power level or the defrost mode for 1 minute. Then remove and massage the bag and repeat for another 30 seconds. Remove and massage the bag again. Repeat for another 30 seconds if need to melt them completely.
- Once melted, cut a small amount off the tip of the bag and drizzle it over each of the Oreos.
- Top it with a red heart sprinkle and green sanding sugar immediately if you’d like (add it quickly before the drizzle sets completely).Heart sprinkles, Dark green sanding sugar
- Allow the drizzle to set completely before serving. You can place them in the refrigerator to set faster
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected