Need an easy no-bake dessert idea to make this holiday season? These Christmas Oreo Balls combine Golden Oreos with cream cheese, dipped in a colorful coating and topped with a mini Reese’s cup and sprinkles for a perfect treat to make this time of year.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Ornament Oreo Balls
With their beautiful ornament appearance, these Christmas Oreo truffles are beautiful, unique sweet treats for holiday parties or a cookie exchange.
They are also a great homemade gift for friends, neighbors and coworkers.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card with amounts.
- Golden Oreo cookies – I bought a family size package of Oreos to crush. (not double stuff Oreos which don’t set as well)
- Cream cheese – one block of softened cream cheese adds creaminess to the mixture. Let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Nonpareil sprinkles – adds a pop of color and texture.
- Green, red and white candy melts – for candy coating. I use Melt ‘Ems or Wilton brand.
- White chocolate Reese’s cups minis – for the ornament top.
- Edible gold shimmer spray – adds a festive touch to the Reese’s cups. You can omit this step if you’d like. I bought this Sweetshop Edible Shimmer at Walmart or this Wilton Edible Gold Glitter Spray
- Sprinkles – adds extra fun colors
1. Use regular Oreo cookies, Mint Oreos or Red Velvet Oreos instead of Golden Oreos for a different flavor.
2.Substitute the cream cheese with a dairy-free option for a vegan version.
3. Use any type of sprinkles you like, just make sure they are edible.
4. Use different colors of candy melts to create your own unique ornament balls.
5. Use regular milk chocolate mini Reese’s cups.
How to Make Oreo Balls:
Step 1 – Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or wax paper.
Step 2 – In a food processor, add the whole Oreos and pulse them a few times until they are fine crumbs. (you can also use a high speed blender or place them in a zip closure bag and crush them with a rolling pin).
Step 3 – In a large bowl, add the softened block of cream cheese and blend with an electric mixer until creamy.
Step 4 – Add the cookie crumbs and ¼ cup of sprinkles to the cream cheese and mix gently.
Step 5 – Use a small cookie scoop to scoop the dough and roll them into even sized balls and place on the prepared baking sheet.
Step 6 – Chill the truffles on the cookie sheet in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Step 7 – Unwrap each of the mini white chocolate peanut butter cups and place them in a zip closure plastic baggie and sprinkle ½ tablespoon of the gold spray. Seal the bag and lightly shake it until all of the peanut butter cups are coated.
Step 8 – In a double boiler, add the green candy melts and heat over low heat and melt them, stirring often, until smooth. Do not heat too high or it will thicken and be unusable. Dip each of the rolled ball one at a time into the melted candy and remove it using a fork. Tap the fork the side of the pot or bowl to remove any excess chocolate drip.
Step 9 – Then place the dipped cookie balls onto the cookie sheet and immediately top with a golden Reese’s top and additional sprinkles. (you can either sprinkle them over top or roll the ball in sprinkles).
Step 10 – Repeat steps 8 and 9 with the red and white candy melts.
- Make sure the Oreo balls are chilled thoroughly before dipping to ensure they hold their shape.
- Work quickly when dipping and topping the Oreo balls as the candy melts set fast.
- Use a candy melting pot or melt the candy in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl per the package directions and be very careful not to overheat them. Stir after each 30 second interval. The bowl will be warm and continue to heat the candy and easily.
How to Store Oreo Truffles?
Store the Oreo balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Place them in a single layer with parchment paper between layers so they don’t stick together.
Yes, you can make these Oreo balls up to 3 days in advance and store them in the refrigerator.
Yes, you can freeze the Oreo balls for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator before serving.
Yes, you can use melted white chocolate chips or white almond bark instead of candy melts, but the color may be slightly different. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil or vegetable oil to thin it if needed.
Christmas Oreo Balls
- 45 Golden Oreo cookies
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup nonpareil sprinkles
- 10 ounce green candy melts
- 10 ounce red candy melts
- 10 ounce white candy melts
- 24 white chocolate Reese’s cups minis
- Edible gold shimmer spray optional
- Extra assortment of sprinkles for topping
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add the whole Oreos and pulse them a few times until they are fine crumbs. (you can also use a high speed blender or place them in a zip closure bag and crush them with a rolling pin).45 Golden Oreo cookies
- In a large mixing bowl, add the softened cream cheese and blend with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until creamy.8 ounces cream cheese
- Add the Oreo crumbs to the bowl and blend until well combined.
- Add the ¼ cup of nonpareil sprinkles to the cookie dough and stir them gently with a wooden spoon or spatula until mixed in.¼ cup nonpareil sprinkles
- Use a 1.5” cookie scoop to scoop even sized balls and roll them with your hands to make round balls and place them on the baking sheets.
- Once they have all been rolled, place the trays in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours so they hold their shape when dipping.
- Unwrap each of the mini white chocolate peanut butter cups and place them in a large zip closure plastic baggie.24 white chocolate Reese’s cups minis
- Sprinkle ½ tablespoon of the edible gold shimmer spray and sprinkle it on top.Edible gold shimmer spray
- Seal the bag and lightly shake it until all of the peanut butter cups are coated.
- In a double boiler, add the green candy melts and heat over low heat and melt them, stirring often, until smooth. Do not heat too high or it will thicken and be unusable.10 ounce green candy melts
- Dip each of the rolled ball one at a time into the melted candy and remove it using a fork. Tap the fork the side of the pot or bowl to remove any excess coating.
- Then place it onto the cookie sheet and immediately top with a golden Reese’s top and additional sprinkles.Extra assortment of sprinkles for topping
- Repeat with 7 more Oreo balls as quick as possible as the coating sets quickly.
- Place the tray back in the refrigerator and clean the double boiler.
- Melt the red candy melts next in the double boiler and dip them the same as the green. Add the golden top and add sprinkles.10 ounce red candy melts
- Place them in the refrigerator and repeat the process with the white candy melts.10 ounce white candy melts
- Store them in refrigerator until ready to serve
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected