These simple yet classic Lemon Squares recipe is the perfect blend of sweet and tart and the buttery crust just melts in your mouth.
I’m not a huge fan of really tart desserts so this one is absolutely perfect. They have a subtle tartness that is not overwhelming. This Lemonade Cake and this Blueberry Lemon Bread are two other favorite lemony desserts that we love.
This is another recipe I owe to Nana Anna and her sweet “typed-out” cookbook. She always makes these yummy little treats to bring to any get together or baby shower, bridal shower or brunch.
This is a 2-step process. First, you bake the buttery shortbread crust first and then add the filling and bake again.
Ingredients needed for Lemon Squares / Bars
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
3 TBSP lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon peel
2 TBSP flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Powdered sugar, optional
How to make Lemon Squares / Bars
Blend ingredients together and press unto an 11 x 7 baking dish
Bake at 325 F for about 20 minutes or until lightly brown.
Combine ingredients in a bowl and beat until well blended.
Spread over the hot baked crust
Bake at 325 F for 25 minutes.
Cool in pan.
Cut into squares.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- 1 cup all purpose flour or gluten free flour if desired
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour or gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar optional
- Blend ingredients together and press unto an 11 x 7 baking dish
- Bake at 325 F for about 20 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Combine ingredients in a bowl and beat until well blended.
- Spread over the hot baked crust
- Bake at 325 F for 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan.
- Cut into squares.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.