Making your own homemade ketchup is easier than you may think. And another easy way to get the high fructose corn syrup out of your diet.
Heinz makes a version called “Simply Heinz” that has no high fructose corn syrup in it but it is more expensive. So I decided it was time to try experimenting with making my own.
My family was really surprised at how close this recipe is to the store bought versions.
(1) 6 oz can of tomato paste
2-3 TBSP of vinegar (I like a little more)
1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup of honey
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1. Whisk all ingredients together in a small sauce pan and heat on medium.
2. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
3. Cool completely and store in a sealed container for about 2 -3 weeks.
Homemade Ketchup Recipe
- 16 ounces tomato paste
- 2-3 TBSP of vinegar I like a little more
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small sauce pan and heat on medium.
- Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Cool completely and store in a sealed container for about 2 -3 weeks.