These Jalapeño Popper Pinwheels are simply made with buttery puff pastry, jalapeno pepper, bacon, cream cheese, cheddar cheese and green onions . They are loaded with the perfect blend of flavor for a great appetizer for any party or game day snack.
Table of contents
Easy Jalapeno Pinwheels
You can control the heat factor of this easy recipe. Just remove the seeds of the jalapeno peppers to tame down the spice, or leave some seeds for a spicy easy party appetizers recipe the whole crew will be reaching for seconds.
The flavor combinations of peppers, cheeses, and, of course, bacon are just perfection. This is a super easy jalapeno popper recipe that uses simple ingredients so it works great on being a last minute appetizer you can just throw together and bake.
Puff Pastry – You will use frozen puff pastry dough that is thawed. This will create that flaky texture that elevates this appetizer to a whole new level.
Cream Cheese – Ensure the cream cheese is softened as well, so you can mix and spread it easily.
Shredded Cheese – I used shredded cheddar cheese. Shred it yourself for the best melting or use for pre-shredded if you prefer.
Bacon – Cook your own fresh bacon, use precooked bacon or even bacon bits. Crumble the bacon so it is allows for a bite-size pieces.
Jalapeno Peppers – I use fresh peppers with the seeds removed. Wash before using.
Green Onions – Use green onions that are thinly sliced to elevate the savory flavor.
1. Swap the puff pastry with crescent dough or pizza dough.
2. You could also use flour tortillas to transform this into an easy pinwheel recipe to serve unbaked.
3. Add ¼ cup sour cream to the mixture to create a tangy and creamier texture.
4. If you like spicy foods add in ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to elevate the spice.
4. Swap the cheese for Pepper jack, Monterey jack, colby, etc.
5. Leave out the bacon for a meatless appetizer.
6. Swap the bacon with cooked pieces of diced or shredded chicken.
How to Make this Jalapeno Pinwheel Recipe
Step 1 – Unwrap and thaw the puff pastry. Once completely thawed to room temperature, roll it out, and seal all the perforated seams.
Step 2 – In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, shredded cheese, peppers, bacon, green onions and mix well. You want the cheese filling to be super creamy.
Step 3 – Spread the cream cheese mixture over the puff pastry.
Step 4 – Roll the pastry tightly, and once it is a log, wrap in plastic wrap. Then refrigerate the dough for 1-2 hours.
Step 5 – When ready to bake, slice the jalapeno roll with sharp knife into 1 inch thick pieces and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Step 6 – Bake as directed, and once done, serve warm for the perfect party food.
Here are some helpful tips for this easy delicious game day snack or party appetizer.
- I find using a sharp serrated knife helps to cut the puff pastry without tearing.
- The roll needs to be refrigerated so you can easily slice the bites. Otherwise it will be a bit mushy and not hold shape. Refrigerating to chill is the best tip I have found.
- Use a cutting board to place your puff pastry on and lightly flour the surface if needed. It help prevent it from sticking to the counter.
To reheat you can place the pinwheels in the microwave to reheat for a few seconds to a minute. Or you can place on a baking sheet and reheat in the oven until it is fully warmed. It will take around 5 minutes to reheat in the oven at 325 degrees.
Jalapeno Popper Pinwheels
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough thawed
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup bacon crumbles
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 2 green onions sliced thinly
- Unwrap the sheet of puff pastry dough, place on a piece of plastic wrap and roll out to seal the perforated seams.1 sheet puff pastry dough
- In a medium bowl, add the softened cream cheese, shredded cheese, diced jalapeno, bacon, and green onions and mix to combine well.8 ounces cream cheese, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup bacon crumbles, 1 jalapeno pepper, 2 green onions
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the puff pastry sheet.
- Roll the dough back up into a log and wrap with the plastic wrap.
- Place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours to chill.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the log from the plastic wrap and slice into one-inch slices and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake or 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.