Scrumptious Red Velvet Cookie Bars with cream cheese frosting…oh my! Everyone will love this sweet treat!
These Red Velvet Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting are a very easy recipe if you want to make something fun for your sweetheart! They are also perfecto for a Valentine’s day party you have planned!
Red Velvet Cookie Bars
I’m a huge velvet fan! And cream cheese frosting? It could be considered my kryptonite. I could put it on anything to be very honest!
While these certainly are not considered “healthy” little cookie bars by any means, I do believe in treating yourself occasionally and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It’s about moderation. Always remember that. 🙂
I don’t add as much red food coloring to my red velvet recipes. I don’t know, there’s something that stops me as I’m adding it. So, these turn out a little more of a rose color. Feel free to add as much as you would like.
Ingredients for Red Velvet Cookie Bars
3 cups of all purpose flour (or gluten free flour like Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free One-to-One flour)
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 stick butter (½ cup), softened (or 2 sticks of butter and leave out the yogurt below)
¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
1 stick of butter
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon red food coloring
Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz light cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
How to Make Red Velvet Cookie Bars
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 9×13 inch – Glass Baking Dish (or line with – parchment paper for easy removal)
In a medium bowl, add the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt and whisk together.
In a mixing bowl, blend cream butter, yogurt and sugar until creamy. (about 2 minutes).
Then beat in the eggs, vanilla, and food coloring and mix for an additional minute.
Add the flour mixture until dough forms, careful not to over mix.
Press the dough into the bottom of the 9×13 inch pan.
Bake for 15-20 minutes (or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
Allow to completely cool before frosting.
How to make Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat the cream cheese and butter together.
Add the powdered sugar and vanilla.
Beat until smooth.
Frost the top of the bars
Cut into squares.
Red Velvet Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 cups all purpose flour gluten free if desired
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup stick butter 1 stick, softened (or 2 sticks of butter and leave out the yogurt below)
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz light cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish (or line with parchment paper for easy removal)
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt and whisk together.
- In a mixing bowl, blend cream butter, yogurt and sugar until creamy. (about 2 minutes).
- Then beat in the eggs, vanilla, and food coloring and mix for an additional minute.
- Add the flour mixture until dough forms, careful not to over mix.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
- Allow to completely cool before frosting.
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Frost the top of the bars
- Cut into squares.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected
Adapted from Chocolate Moosey
It looks so fabulous! Who wouldn’t love red velvet? Because I know I love it! It’s so wonderful! Thanks for sharing this!