Simple to make, this delicious apple dump cake is bursting with all our favorite flavors of fall. Combining the sweetness of apple pie filling with a box cake mix, this easy dessert recipe is perfect for any occasion.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Dump Cake with Apple Pie Filling
This easy recipe is ideal for anyone craving a delicious fall dessert without spending hours in the kitchen. It’s fantastic for busy parents, beginner cooks, or anyone craving an apple dessert whether it’s apple season or not!
Similar to apple cobbler, it is so amazing to serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top!
Why is it called a dump cake?
This wonderful dessert gets its name because you simply “dump” the ingredients into a pan. There’s no mixing at all – just layering simple ingredients that results in on of the easiest desserts ever.
You can pretty much use any fruit fillings and make many different versions of this buttery cake other than this apple version. Use blueberry pie filling for blueberry dump cake and cherry filling for a cherry dump cake. And be sure to try this pumpkin dump cake and this peach dump cake recipe too!
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this apple cake recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card with amounts.
- Apple Pie Filling: the heart of this cake.
- Lemon Juice: adds a refreshing zest to balance the sweetness. You don’t have to add this put I like the little added flavor.
- Fresh Apple Slices: use fresh apples of any kind you’d like. I think Granny Smith is the best apple because of their tartness but McIntosh or Cortland are wonderful too.
- Apple Pie Spice: You can make your own homemade apple spice or just cinnamon as well if you’d like.
- Spice Cake Mix: for a perfectly spiced topping. (you will not use the other cake ingredients) Use a gluten free cake mix if you need to.
- Butter: one stick of butter helps to give it its golden crust.
- Use two cans of apple pie filling instead of adding the fresh fruit. But leave out the additional apple pie spice since the filling has spices in it.
- Although I made this cake with spice cake mix, you can use a different cake mix instead like yellow cake mix, white cake mix, angel food cake mix or even a chocolate cake mix.
- Add chopped pecans or walnuts sprinkled to the cake topping.
- Give it caramel apple yumminess by drizzling caramel sauce over the finished cake!
How to Make this Apple Dump Cake Recipe
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Step 2: Add the lemon juice to the apple filling in the can and stir to combine. Pour the apple mixture into the bottom of the baking dish and place the sliced apples over top the filling and sprinkle the apple pie spice evenly over top
Step 3: Then sprinkle the entire dry cake mix over the apple layer.
Step 4: Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the top of the cake mix making sure the butter covers the cake mix thoroughly. Do NOT mix it.
Step 5: Place the cake in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the the filling is bubbly and the top is golden brown.
- Ensure the butter covers the cake mix evenly to avoid dry spots.
- Cut the fresh apples into thin slices with the skin on or peeled off.
Store leftover apple dump cake in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. I like to warm servings in the microwave for about 30 seconds to make it nice and warm again before eating.
Yes, you can! Cover the cooled cake with plastic wrap and then with aluminum foil tightly and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator. Reheat in the oven until heated through. (remember to place a cold dish in a cold oven and then turn it on so the dish doesn’t crack).
Apple Dump Cake
- 21 ounces apple pie filling 1 can
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups apple peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 15.25 ounces spice cake mix 1 box
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted, 1 stick
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the lemon juice to the apple filling in the can and stir to combine.21 ounces apple pie filling, 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pour the pie filling into the greased dish and place the sliced apples over top the filling and sprinkle the apple pie spice evenly over top .2 cups apple, 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Then sprinkle the entire dry spice cake mix over the apple layer.15.25 ounces spice cake mix
- Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the top of the dry cake mix. Make sure the butter covers the cake mix thoroughly.½ cup unsalted butter
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the the filling is bubbly and the top is golden brown.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected