This Avocado Tuna Salad is a simple, packed with protein twist on traditional tuna salad. Just a few fresh ingredients give this salad an amazing flavor for a healthy lunch or as a side dish.
Avocado Tuna Salad
One of my favorites, Avocado Chicken Salad, has been high on my weekly list this summer. I just don’t seen to ever get tired of it. I love it in a wrap or sandwich but I’ve even been known to use grab some crackers and munch away.
With it in mind, I decided to make this avocado tuna salad this week. I left the avocado diced in this version and it is truly delicious. The avocado makes it so creamy! And the cilantro and lemon juice blend so wonderful together.
Freshness tip: once you add the salt, the salad is best when eaten within a couple of hours because it will cause the cucumber to soften and wilt.
If you need to make it ahead of time, just combine all of the ingredients except the salt and refrigerate. Then add the salt just before you are planning to serve it.
Ingredients for Avocado Tuna Salad (print the recipe below):
9-10 oz tuna in water, drained and flaked – (2) 5 oz. cans or (3) 3oz. pouches
2 large avocados, peeled & sliced into cubes
1/2 English cucumber, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced thin
1/4 cup cilantro (more if desired)
2 Tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
What Kind of Tuna is Best for Tuna Salad?
I like to use light albacore tuna in water. You can use canned tuna in oil as well if you’d like. I love to find products that wild caught like the one in the picture above. I also highly recommend this Safe Catch Elite Wild Tuna for it’s low mercury content.
Avocado Tuna Salad
- 9-10 oz tuna in water drained and flaked - (2) 5 oz. cans or (3) 3oz. pouches
- 2 large avocados peeled & sliced into cubes
- 1/2 English cucumber sliced
- 1/2 red onion sliced thin
- 1/4 cup cilantro more if desired
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large salad bowl, combine the drained tuna, diced avocado, thin sliced red onion and sliced cucumber and 1/4 cup cilantro. ( more if you love like me)
- Drizzle salad ingredients with 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 2 Tbsp olive oil and black pepper. See tip above about adding salt.
- Toss to combine and serve.
It tastes just a good as it looks!