These Baked Zucchini Fries, coated with Italian seasonings and panko breadcrumbs, are a perfectly light and crispy side dish or appetizer. They are wonderful either on their own or for dipping in a sauce like marinara sauce, ranch dressing or yum yum sauce.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Table of contents
Crispy Baked Zucchini Sticks
I love having an easy side dish that is baked and healthy and that everyone loves. And these crispy zucchini fries never disappoint! Who needs french fries when you have these!?
Making oven baked zucchini fries is pretty simple and straightforward. When its summer and there are a ton of zucchini in season, be sure to try this crunchy, healthy alternative to fried zucchini!
The ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe are simple and easy to find.
- Milk: You need this to thin out the egg mixture a bit. You can use whole milk or low fat milk.
- Egg: The egg wash will serve as the binder for the flour and breadcrumb mixture. You can even use just egg whites if you prefer.
- Panko bread crumbs: Because panko crumbs are large flakes, they make the best golden brown breading that don’t clump and thus stays crispy for a longer period of time. Feel free to use regular breadcrumbs if you’d like.
- Italian seasoning: For the herby flavor. You can also make your own by combining equal parts of dried oregano, rosemary, basil, thyme, and marjoram.
- Garlic powder: For additional depth of flavor! It boosts the savory taste of the fries.
- All Purpose Flour: For coating. Why the double coating, you might ask? This method is called double dredge. You dip zucchini sticks in egg and flour to create a coating that an even layer of the panko will stick on to.
- Salt and pepper: Gotta have them on all of your savory dishes to enhance and balance the overall flavor.
- Zucchini: sliced into strips. Feel free to cut them in circles too if you’d like to make zucchini chips instead.
- Non-stick cooking spray: The last thing you want to happen is for your delicious fries to stick on to the pan! So be sure to spritz the breaded zucchini with cooking spray, aside from having the parchment paper on the prepared baking sheet. It’ll also help them develop that beautiful golden brown color.
- Dipping sauce: I like to pair it with marinara sauce, but use any that you like! Other great options are ranch dressing, sriracha mayo, or the classic ketchup and mayo co
1. Dairy-free: make this zucchini fries recipe dairy free by substituting milk with your preferred non-dairy milk.
2. Cheesy: Add ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese to the bread crumb mixture. You’ll have baked parmesan zucchini fries!
3. Spicy: Add a dash of cayenne or chili pepper to the flour mixture. You can also add a tablespoon or two of sriracha to the egg mixture.
4. If you can’t find it or make it, just use any herbs that you have available. The beauty of this recipe is that you are the boss; you get to customize it with flavors you love.
How to Make Zucchini Fries in the Oven
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: In a medium bowl, add the milk and egg and whisk together completely.
Step 3: In shallow bowl or plate, combine bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Stir well to combine.
Step 4: In another shallow bowl or plate, add the flour, salt, and pepper and stir.
Step 5: Slice the zucchini into strips by first removing the ends. Then, cut the zucchini in half lengthwise. Then slice each section into about one-fourth to one-third inch thick sticks. You can make thin strips or thicker strips as you prefer.
Step 6: Dip the zucchini in the egg mixture first, then the flour mixture, then back in the egg, then into the breadcrumb mixture. After each dip, give it a little shake and let the excess drip off.
Step 7: Place the coated strips to the prepared baking sheet. Make sure that they are on an even single layer with enough space around each piece. You don’t want the baking sheet to be overcrowded because this will prevent them from turning crispy.
Step 8: After all the zucchini are coated, spray the batch with non-stick cooking spray or spray oil.
Step 9: Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
Serve with marinara sauce or ranch dressing in a small bowl for dipping, if desired. Enjoy!
- choose medium sized zucchini that is smooth and has bright green skin. They should feel firm and not mushy when lightly pressed.
- Use other seasonings like basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, or chili powder.
- Use gluten free flour and/ or breadcrumbs. I love Bob’s Red Mill one-to-one gluten free flour.
- Make them in an air fryer too if you’d like. Reduce the temperature to 400° F and air fry for about 9-10 minutes
Store any leftovers in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheat in the oven at 400 degrees F until heated through. You can also reheat in an air fryer at 350° F for 2 minutes or until crispy again. Be careful not to overcook or it may become mushy.
Baked Zucchini Fries
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 medium zucchini
- Non-stick cooking spray or spray oil
- Marinara sauce or ranch dressing for dipping, optional
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add the milk and egg and whisk together completely.¼ cup milk, 1 large egg
- In shallow bowl or plate, add the breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder.1 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- In another shallow bowl or plate, add the the flour, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.1 cup all-purpose flour, Salt and pepper
- Slice the zucchini into strips by first removing the ends. Then cut the zucchini in half and then slice each into strips.2 medium zucchini
- Dip each zucchini strip in the egg mixture first, then the flour mixture, then back in the egg mixture, then into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Transfer the coated pieces to the lined baking sheet.
- After all the zucchini are coated, spray the batch with non-stick cooking spray or spray oil.Non-stick cooking spray
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with marinara sauce or ranch dressing for dipping, if desired.Marinara sauce or ranch dressing
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected