Cowboy Caviar is a colorful blend of fresh ingredients, beans, and mild spices with a touch of lime juice. Serve with your favorite chips for a fabulous, healthy appetizer.
Have you ever heard of cowboy caviar? Even being from the South, I think I was late to the game with this yummy dip! It’s an extremely easy appetizer loaded with fresh veggies and beans to make for any occasion!
COWBOY CAVIAR RECIPE
I remember the exact day I was introduced to this amazing cowboy caviar. I was at dinner at a friend of my mother-in-law’s in Florida a couple of years ago. This is not my everyday salsa, my friends. It is loaded with TWO KINDS OF beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado and more!
I went home with her recipe and I have been wanting to make it ever since.
My brother and his family are visiting this week from NC for their spring vacation week and I finally decided it was the perfect time to whip up a batch to have as an appetizer.
Plus since it makes a fairly large batch so we also used it as a fabulous topper on Southwestern Rice Bowls for dinner as well.
Serve with your favorite chips. And be ready to hand out the recipe when you make it for a crowd.
COWBOY CAVIAR INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
Juice of 1/2 a lime
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (11 ounce) can super sweet corn, drained (see notes)
1 red onion, diced
1 cup red bell pepper, diced
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
HOW TO MAKE COWBOY CAVIAR
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Juice of ½ a lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (11 ounce) can super sweet corn, drained (see notes)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large bowl, blend the olive oil, white wine vinegar, chili powder, cumin, lime juice and salt together.
- Add the tomatoes, black-eyed peas, beans, corn, red onion, bell peppers and cilantro.
- Cover and chill for an 1 hour for flavors to blend.
- Serve with your favorite chips.
Don’t miss a recipe or fun tip! Subscribe to the To Simply Inspire newsletter.