Cowboy Caviar is a colorful blend of fresh ingredients and mild spices with a touch of lime juice. Serve the healthy dip with your favorite chips for an appetizer that is ready in less than 15 minutes.
Have you ever heard of cowboy caviar? I was definitely late to the game being introduced to this yummy dip! It’s an easy appetizer to make for any occasion and can also be eaten as a salad or even as a fabulous Tex-Mex topping to fish, chicken and even Rice Bowls or this easy Salsa Verde Chicken.
I was first introduced to cowboy caviar at dinner with my mother-in-law a few years ago. Some people refer to it as Texas Caviar or Mexican Caviar. It’s a very popular, simple dip that is to made up of fresh ingredients – black beans, black-eyed peas, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado and more! Some versions are made with added sugar for a sweeter taste.
How to Make this Easy Cowboy Caviar Dip
Cowboy Caviar is one of the easiest appetizer recipes to make. It’s perfect for larger gatherings by simply doubling the recipe.
In a large bowl, blend the olive oil, white wine vinegar, chili powder, cumin, lime juice, and salt together.
Add the tomatoes, black-eyed peas, beans, corn, red onion, bell peppers, and cilantro.
Cover and chill for at least an hour for flavors to blend.
Since it is made with beans and vegetables, Cowboy Caviar is gluten-free. Be sure to choose a gluten-free chip, like tortillas chips to dip with. It is also vegan!
You can always change up the extra ingredients in Cowboy Caviar if you prefer.
Try adding minced garlic, green bell peppers instead of red, feta cheese and/or black olives too.
You can also substitute green onions for the red onions. If you would like to make it without cilantro, feel free to do that as well if you prefer.
Mix up the Cowboy Caviar ahead of time (at least 3-4 hours) to allow the flavors to blend well together.
Serve with your favorite chips and be ready to hand out the recipe when you make it for a crowd.
You can store Cowboy Caviar in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 or 4 days.
Don’t forget to check out our Cowboy Caviar web story!
More delicious appetizer recipes to try:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Juice of ½ a lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 15 ounces 15 ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 11 ounces 11 ounce can super sweet corn, drained
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar optional (up to ¼ cup if preferred)
- In a large bowl, blend the olive oil, white wine vinegar, chili powder, cumin, lime juice and salt together.
- Add the tomatoes, black-eyed peas, beans, corn, red onion, bell peppers and cilantro.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour for flavors to blend.
- Serve with your favorite chips, as a side dish or as a topping for fish or chicken