A Southwestern Rice Bowl is a go-to clean eating meal that is simply scrumptious! Add any fresh ingredients like cilantro, guacamole, salsa, olives, or other favorites.
Whenever we are busy and I need to come up with a quick and healthy dinner, these southwestern rice bowls are a favorite in our house. Similar to a taco bar, I set out all the ingredients so everyone gets to add exactly what they like.
Southwestern Rice Bowl
It is great with shredded chicken, ground turkey meat or even with a mild fish, like Tilapia.
I use the frozen crockpot shredded chicken I have made ahead.
If you don’t bake a few chicken breasts in coconut oil (or olive oil) with garlic powder and pepper and have to make simple recipes or just each for lunch. I bake them covered at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until no longer pink then kind of shred it or at least cut it into 1 inch cubes.
Voila! A simple and healthy dinner!
What’s in a Rice Bowl
Cooked Chicken Breasts, shredded or Ground Turkey Meat, browned and sprinkled with homemade taco seasoning.
Brown rice or quinoa, cooked
1 can of Black Beans (I use low sodium)
1 lb bag of frozen corn (or can of corn)
Fresh Cilantro, chopped
Salsa or Fresh cut tomatoes
Plain fat free plain Yogurt (or low fat sour cream)
Sliced Avocado or Guacamole (optional)
Chopped Scallions (optional)
Shredded cheese (optional)
Pepper to taste
How to Make Easy Rice Bowls
1. Cook chicken, if necessary, and shred into pieces.
2. Cook rice as directed.
3. Layer rice, chicken, black beans, and then corn in a bowl.
4. Top with Cilantro, salsa, fat free plain yogurt, scallions and cheese.
Healthy Recipe: Southwestern Rice Bowl
- 1 lb Cooked Chicken Breasts shredded or Ground Turkey Meat, browned
- 1 cup Brown rice or quinoa cooked
- 10 oz can of Black Beans I use low sodium
- 1/2 lb frozen corn or can of corn
- Fresh Cilantro chopped
- Salsa or Fresh cut tomatoes
- Plain fat free plain Yogurt or low fat sour cream
- Sliced Avocado or Guacamole optional
- Chopped Scallions optional
- Shredded cheese optional
- Pepper to taste
- Cook chicken, if necessary, and shred into pieces.
- Cook rice as directed.
- Layer rice, chicken, black beans, and then corn in a bowl.
- Top with Cilantro, salsa, fat free plain yogurt, scallions and cheese.