This easy funfetti dip is a perfect sweet dip for holiday parties and birthday celebrations. Made with simple ingredients of a box of cake mix, whipped topping, yogurt and colorful jimmies, it’s ready to enjoy in less than 10 minutes.
Need more simple sweet treats? This brownie batter dip is another easy recipe to try.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Cake Mix Dip
Sometimes referred to as dunkaroo dip, funfetti cake dip is easily changeable for any holiday and special occasions with the types of sprinkles you choose. We made this fun recipe for Halloween with fall colored sprinkles and candy eyes. But it’s also a fun idea for a Christmas dip, Patriotic dip, etc.
With just 4 ingredients and a plethora of dip-able options, funfetti dip is always a hit every time we make it.
What can I Dip in Dessert Dips?
Our favorite dippers for any dessert dip recipe are graham crackers, pretzels and apple slices. But you can also dip with animal crackers, vanilla wafers, chocolate wafers, gingersnaps and even any flavor teddy grahams. Fresh fruit like strawberries, melon and pineapple are wonderful to use to scoop up this creamy dip too.
- Cake Mix – I use white cake mix for the sweet, fluffy base. It adds the signature flavor that tastes like cake batter without the need for baking.
- Whipped Topping – Like Cool Whip, it brings a light, airy texture.
- Vanilla Yogurt – Adds a subtle tang and creaminess, balancing the sweetness of the other ingredients. I like using Greek yogurt but plain is fine as well.
- Sprinkles – The fun element! These colorful bits not only add a pop of color but a slight crunch in every bite.
1.Swap the yogurt for cream cheese, softened to room temperature, and blend it with an electric hand mixer until smooth before mixing it with the cake mix. If the dip is too thick add a couple of tablespoons of milk.
2. Choose a different favorite cake mix like yellow or vanilla cake mix or even a Pillsbury funfetti cake mix.
3.Feel free to swap out the vanilla yogurt for a flavored yogurt or even a non-dairy yogurt if desired.
4.Use a gluten free cake mix.
5. Add in a teaspoon vanilla extract.
6. Add in ¼ cup of mini chocolate chips.
How to Make this Easy Dessert Dip Recipe
Step 1 – First, you need to heat treat the raw flour in the dry cake mix to eliminate any potential bacteria. Spread the raw cake mix out on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes at 350° F then place in a large bowl to cool for a few minutes.
Step 2 – In a large mixing bowl, add the heat-treated cake mix, thawed whipped topping, and yogurt and stir to combine completely.
Step 3 – Add in about ¾ of the colored jimmies or sprinkles to the dip and gently folding them into the mix.
Step 4 – Transfer to a serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
When ready to serve, add extra sprinkles on top of the dip.
- You can heat the cake mix in the microwave instead of the oven to heat treat it. Place it in a medium microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 second intervals on high, stirring after each 30 seconds until it reaches 165° F with a food thermometer. (I usually heat it 4 times)
- Ensure your whipped topping is fully thawed for a smooth, lump-free dip.
- Be gentle when stirring in the sprinkles to maintain their color and avoid them bleeding into the mix.
- Don’t leave this dip out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. You can place it in a bowl of ice if you need it to be out longer.
Store any leftover dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Stir again if necessary prior to eating. The color sprinkles may change the color of the dip some.
Yes, you can freeze this cake batter dip for up to 2 months in a freezer safe container.
Funfetti Cake Mix Dip
- 15.25 ounces white cake mix
- 8 ounces whipped topping thawed, like Cool Whip
- 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- ½ cup colored sprinkles or jimmies
- For Dipping: Nilla wafers graham cracker, chocolate wafers, and animal crackers, and fresh fruit.
- You need to heat treat the raw flour in the dry cake mix to eliminate any potential bacteria first.
- Spread the raw cake mix out on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes at 350° F then place in a large bowl to cool for a few minutes.15.25 ounces white cake mix
- In a large bowl, add the heat treated cake mix, thawed whipped topping, and yogurt and stir to combine well.8 ounces whipped topping, 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- Add about ¾ of the sprinkles and gently stir into the mixture.½ cup colored sprinkles or jimmies
- Add to serving bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve. Top with additional sprinkles just before serving.
- For Dipping: Nilla wafers graham cracker, chocolate wafers, and animal crackers, and fresh fruit.For Dipping: Nilla wafers
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected