These easy, adorable nutter butter ghosts are fun to make with simple ingredients of Nutter Butter cookies, candy melts, with chocolate chips and cute candy eyes and are perfect for a halloween party or classroom activity.
Nutter Butter Ghost Cookies
Making Halloween memories with a few fun spooky treats is always great for kids. These cute little ghost cookies are a favorite tradition of ours to make. They even make a great activity for little ones since the are practically effortless.
- Nutter Butter Cookies: favorite peanut butter cookie is the base for our little ghosts.
- White Candy Melts: for a great white coating and added sweetness. I used pure white Wilton Brand Candy Melts.
- Candy Eyeballs: for creating a whimsical, fun face. I used Wilton Brand Candy Eyeballs.
- Mini Chocolate Chips: used for the ghost’s mouth.
1. Use different color candy wafers. Orange, green, purple and dark chocolate to create a ghostly rainbow of treats.
2. Use any oblong cookie like Vienna Fingers, Milano cookies or even homemade sugar cookies cut with a ghost cookie cutter would be a fantastic substitute.
3. If you don’t have candy eyes, use miniature chocolate chips for the eyes.
4. Use edible food marker or black icing to draw on the eyes and mouth but wait until the candy coating has hardened completely.
5. Feel free to dip the entire cookie in the melted chocolate if you’d like.
6. Place some of the melted chocolate in a piping bag and drizzle it back and worth across the cookies for a mummy ghost cookie.
How to Make this Fun Halloween Cookie Recipe
These no bake halloween ghost cookies are the perfect halloween dessert to make when you are short on time!
Step 1 – Melt the candy: In a small microwave safe mixing bowl, melt the candy. Heat in the microwave at 50% power level or the defrost mode for another 30 seconds. Stir and then repeat for another 30 seconds and stir again. Repeat again until the candy has melted completely. (refer to package instructions if needed)
Step 2 – Dip each cookie into the melted candy covering approximately 70-75% of the cookie and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet or a wire rack. Tap the cookie lightly on the side of the bowl to remove any excess.
Step 3 – Immediately press 2 candy eyeballs and a chocolate chip for the mouth into the candy while it’s still soft.
Let them set for about 5-10 minutes for the coating to set.
- Remember to work quickly with melted candy as they begin to harden quickly. reheat in the microwave for 20 seconds and stir again to re-melt.
- You can also use a double boiler on the stovetop if you’d like. Just be careful not to get water in the candy or it may seize and be unusable.
Store these ghost cookies in an airtight container with a piece of parchment paper or wax paper between layers for up to 5 days at room temperature.
You can also freeze them in a freezer safe bag or container for up to 2 months. I like to wrap them individually in plastic wrap.
Absolutely! You can melt chocolate or almond bark using the same process as the candy. You can even use white icing, like royal icing, as well if you’d like. Keep in mind that chocolate might not harden as perfectly as candy wafers.
If your candy melts get too thick, add a teaspoon of vegetable oil, canola oil or coconut oil to thin it out.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox! (plus more new recipes sent weekly!)
Easy Ghost Cookies
- 12 Peanut butter sandwich cookies like Nutter Butter
- 1 cup white candy melts
- 24 candy eyeballs
- 12 mini chocolate chips
- In a small microwave safe mixing bowl, melt the white candy melts. Heat in the microwave at 50% power level or the defrost mode for another 30 seconds. Stir and then repeat for another 30 seconds and stir again. Repeat again until the candy has melted completely.1 cup white candy melts
- Dip each cookie into the melted candy covering approximately 70-75% of the cookie. Tap the cookie lightly on the side of the bowl to remove any excess if necessary.12 Peanut butter sandwich cookies
- Immediately press 2 candy eyeballs and a chocolate chip for the mouth into the candy while it’s still soft.24 candy eyeballs, 12 mini chocolate chips
- Let them set for about 5-10 minutes for the coating to set.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected