Give this layered candy corn inspired Halloween Rice Krispie Treats a try. They are the perfect crispy treats for your next Halloween party. Made with Rice Krispie cereal, mini marshmallows, butter, and of course candy corn. This is a no bake Halloween treat that is great for the fall and Halloween season.
Table of contents
Rice Krispie Halloween Treats
Candy corn is iconic for the fall season. So I wanted to make festive treats that showcased the white, yellow and orange candy in a fun way. So making this Rice Krispie treat recipe helped my cereal treats stand out from the rest. Plus the kids love the layers of color.
You have the traditional flavors of your favorite krispy treats, but offers a festive look. These Halloween Rice Krispies come together in no time, so it makes for a great last minute treat.
Rice Krispies Cereal – The traditional cereal that snaps, crackle, and pops! You can buy an off brand if you want, they are all very similar in the flavor and texture.
Marshmallows – Mini marshmallows or large marshmallows are needed to create that gooey and sticky sweetness that molds the cereal bars together.
Butter – Now you need to use real butter not margarine for this recipe. Butter is going to add a richness but also helps the treats stick.
Food Coloring – I used food coloring to make part of it orange and part of it yellow. You are welcome to color your mixture as intense or as light as you would like.
Candy Corn – You will find the candy corn helps bring the candy corn theme together, but also is a sweet topping to nibble on.
Here are ways to change up these fun Halloween treats. Simple swaps of ingredients to transform the sweet treats.
- Instead of candy corn top with candy eyes to mimic little monster fun treats.
- Top with Halloween M&M’s on top to offer some spooky color to the top of the festive Halloween treats.
- Color your Rice Krispies green for a Frankenstein rice krispie treats, and use black icing to draw on a face.
- Add in extra marshmallows at the end of mixing to give the rice krispies treats a chewier texture.
- Add on some of your favorite Halloween sprinkles. You can find them in the baking aisle at the grocery store.
- Melt Wilton candy melts and then drizzle over the top of the treats. This adds more sweetness but decorates the top of the bars more.
Why do my Rice Krispie Treats get hard?
Other than using the fresh marshmallow, the most important way to keep these cereal treats from getting hard is make sure you don’t overheat the marshmallows. Keep the heat on low and once they are almost completely melted, remove the from the heat and stir until completely melted.
Also, don’t press them down too hard in the dish to keep them more airy.
How to Make these Marshmallow Treats for Halloween
Full directions on how to make these Halloween marshmallow treats are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is simple steps that walk you through how to make these easy treats.
Step 1: Start by lining your 8×8 pan with parchment paper, and grease.
Step 2: Next you will use a medium sized pan and melt butter with the marshmallows. Heat over medium heat, and stir often until the marshmallows are fully melted.
Step 3: Remove from heat and then stir in the yellow food coloring, and mix until it is evenly colored.
Step 4: Fold in the cereal, and then pour into the bottom of the pan. Press in the pan and make sure it is in an even layer.
Step 5: Repeat these same steps by melting the butter and marshmallows.
Step 6: Once melted remove from heat and stir in the candy corn, and add in the orange food coloring.
Step 7: Then fold in cereal and spread over the top of the yellow rice krispies.
Step 8: Lastly you will do another batch of rice krispies but not add in food coloring. Spread it over the orange layer, and then top with candy corn pressing the candy corn into the rice krispie treats.
Be sure to let them cool for about 20-30 minutes before cutting into squares or rectangles. You could even cut them into triangles if you’d like!
- Make sure the butter mixture fully melts with the fresh marshmallows before you mix in the food coloring and cereal. Otherwise the marshmallows won’t fully melt.
- You can use non-stick spray or a stick of butter to spread in the pan to help make it easy to remove the rice cereal treats once they are set up.
- If you want to make a double batch go ahead and use a 9×13 pan instead.
Room Temperature – You can store these tasty treats at room temperature in an airtight container. The Halloween treats will store for up to a week.
If you don’t plan to eat all the treats right away, simply store in a freezer friendly container. Then freeze for 1-3 months. Thaw on the counter for a few hours and then enjoy.
Halloween Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 Tablespoons butter divided into (3) 2 tablespoon portions
- 6 cups mini marshmallows divided into (3) 2 cup portions
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal – divided into (3)- 2 cup portions
- ¼ cup Candy Corn plus more for topping
- Orange Gel Food Coloring
- Yellow Gel Food Coloring
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and butter
Make the yellow layer:
- In a medium size saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter and 2 cups marshmallows over medium/low heat until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and add about ¼ teaspoon yellow gel food coloring and mix until the it’s evenly colored.
- Add in 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal and gently stir until cereal is evenly coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Pour the yellow mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and press into set aside.
Make the orange layer:
- Repeat melting 2 tablespoons butter and 2 cups marshmallows in the saucepan over medium/low heat until melted.
- Remove from heat and immediately add in ¼ cup candy corn.
- Stir until candy corn is completely melted.
- Then add in orange food coloring until desired orange color is reached.
- Add 2 cups of Rice Krispies cereal and gently stir until evenly coated.
- Pour into the pan over top of the yellow layer and press down evenly.
Make the white layer:
- Add the last 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 cups marshmallows to the medium saucepan and heat again over medium/low heat until melted.
- Add in the last 2 cups of Rice Krispies cereal and stir until coated.
- Pour it over top of the orange layer and press down completely.
- Immediately press additional candy corn into the top layer if desired.
- Allow to cool for about 30 minutes before cutting.