This easy Hashbrown Casserole, also known as funeral potatoes, is a popular cheesy potatoes recipe in a creamy sauce that the whole family loves. It’s an easy side dish for holiday dinners, potlucks, summer bbq’s, more.
Table of contents
Easy Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
This is very similar to the Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole that guests know and love. The ultimate comfort food, making this cheesy casserole for dinner to go alongside family meals this best meatloaf recipe, Mayo chicken, or even stuffed pork tenderloin and burgers.
Not only is it a comforting side dish but it also make a perfect breakfast dish to serve alongside scrambled eggs or omelets and bacon or sausage.
Cream of Chicken – Use regular of light or fat free version.
Cheddar Cheese – You can use pre-shredded or shred your own sharp cheddar cheese off a block of cheese for the creamy, rich sauce.
Sour Cream – You can use full fat or low fat sour cream. This adds a nice tangy component to the casserole.
Hash Brown Potatoes – I used refrigerate hashbrowns for this recipe. You are welcome to use frozen and add them frozen or thaw them first. You can also shred fresh potatoes if you’d like to as well.
Topping: You can add corn flakes mixed with melted butter as a crunchy topping if you’d like.
1. Add a sprinkle of garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder.
2. Add in cooked cubed ham or crumbled bacon.
3. Use different cheeses to change up the flavor. Mild cheddar, Monterey jack, pepper jack cheese, colby jack, mozzarella etc. all work good. A mixture of different cheeses is great too.
4. Swap the cream of chicken soup for cream of mushroom soup or cream of cheddar soup.
5. Instead of cornflakes, you can use crushed ritz crackers or crushed potato chips as the topping to create a crunch.
6. Add in some red pepper flakes to add a little spice.
7. Add ¼ cup chopped onion.
How to Make this Hash Brown Casserole
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350° F and spray a square or rectangle baking dish with cooking spray.
Step 2 – Then in a large bowl, add the soups, sour cream, and shredded cheese. Stir well to combine
Step 3 – Add in the hashbrowns and stir to completely coat them with the cheese mixture. Then pour into the baking dish and spread in an even layer.
Step 4 – If you are adding the topping, mix the crushed cornflakes and butter together and sprinkle it over the top of the casserole.
Step 5: Then bake as directed until golden brown and bubbly. Cover with aluminum foil if it starts to get to brown.
- Make sure to mix well to ensure all the cheesy goodness is mixed well together.
- Ensure you use a prepared casserole dish, I spray with cooking spray. This prevents the hashbrowns from sticking. You can butter it as well.
- If you use frozen hash browns, increase the cooking a bit longer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Reheat in the microwave in a microwave safe dish or plate until warm. Or you can place the leftovers in a baking dish, cover with aluminum foil and bake on low temperature like 200° F until warmed all the way through.
Yes, you can freeze leftovers or you can also make it ahead and freeze uncooked. Just place in an airtight container and freeze for up to 2 months. Then thaw in the refrigerator 24 hours before you plan to eat it or bake. Always place a cold dish in a cool oven and then turn the oven on to preheat.
- 10 ¾ ounces cream of chicken soup 1 can
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese 1 cup
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 20 ounces shredded hash browns
Optional Topping Ingredients
- 1 ½ cups corn flakes slightly crushed
- ¼ cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350° F and spray a 11 x 7″ baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large mixing bowl combine the soup, sour cream and shredded cheese and stir to combine well.10 ¾ ounces cream of chicken soup, 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, ¾ cup sour cream
- Add in the hash browns and mix well.20 ounces shredded hash browns
- Spread into prepared baking dish.
For the optional topping:
- In small bowl, mix the crushed cornflakes and butter together then sprinkle evenly over hash browns.1 ½ cups corn flakes, ¼ cup butter
- Bake for one hour or until hash browns are tender.