This 3-ingredient oven-baked Mayo Parmesan Chicken delivers tender juicy meat, a beautiful golden-brown crust, and dynamic flavor. An easy weeknight meal that is always an instant hit with the whole family!
Table of contents
Baked Parmesan Chicken with Mayo
When I’m on the hunt for new easy recipes to try for dinner, two things come to mind. It needs to be simple and it needs to deliver on taste. This mayo Parmesan chicken delivers both in a big, BIG way. You won’t believe how crazy simple this recipe is with just 3 simple ingredients and how perfectly tender and juicy it turns out.
I wouldn’t have believed it myself if I hadn’t been making this over and over again at my family’s request. We usually have it with a couple of quick and easy sides like balsamic Brussel sprouts and Italian pasta salad for a complete meal. If I’m aiming for low carb, I’ll make pesto zucchini noodles or a simple side salad instead! Either way, there are rarely any leftovers!
The boneless chicken breasts are smothered with mayonnaise that’s been lightly seasoned and then topped with Parmesan cheese. That’s it! The mix of mayo and parmesan together tastes almost like a warm creamy alfredo sauce and the parmesan cheese melts and forms a beautiful golden-brown crust on top.
- Chicken breasts: For this parmesan crusted chicken recipe, I use boneless skinless chicken breasts. The mayo does a great job of locking in the moisture and keeping it juicy, so there’s never a worry of dry chicken. You can even pound chicken if you have thick chicken breasts to make it more tender.
- Mayonnaise: Creates a creamy coating on top of the chicken and adds a saucy element. I’m a Hellman’s lover myself.
- Parmesan cheese: A sharp cheese that melts beautifully. I use freshly grated Parmesan from a block because I find it tastes better, but any will work in this easy recipe.
- Salt, pepper, minced garlic: A simple combination of seasonings, all of which you probably already have, that enhance the flavor of the mayo.
How to Make this Mayo Chicken
Chicken recipes don’t get much easier than this! Keep this one handy, you’ll be coming back to it for sure.
Step 1: Prep a baking dish or baking sheet large enough to hold 4 chicken breasts with cooking spray. Place chicken breasts into the dish in a single layer. Preheat oven to 375° F.
Step 2: In a small bowl, combine mayo, garlic, salt, and pepper and stir until blended well then using a spoon. Then spread the mayonnaise mixture on top of chicken, evenly coating each one.
Step 3: Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, making sure each piece gets its fair share. Transfer the chicken dish to the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Step 4: If you’d like a little extra Parmesan on your mayo parmesan chicken, sprinkle a little more on top just before serving.
1. Add one tablespoon of dry ranch dressing mix to the mayonnaise mixture for the added zesty flavor.
2. Use 1 teaspoon of garlic powder instead of freshly minced garlic.
3. Add ½ tablespoon of Italian seasoning to the mayo mixture.
4. For a crunchy finish, top the breasts with a mixture of Panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Or just sprinkle bread crumbs or buttery cracker crumbs over top! Italian bread crumbs add even more flavor.
5. If you’re a garlic lover, add more garlic!
6. Use chicken tenders for a fun twist. The kids especially appreciate these! Reduce the bake time by 10 minutes.
7. Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you’d like as well.
8. Top with a little shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Always check for doneness. The meat should no longer be pink in the middle but for accuracy, use a digital thermometer. The internal temperature should read 165 degrees F.
- Rest the chicken. Before serving, allow it to sit for a few minutes. This way the juices will settle and redistribute throughout the meat and won’t run out as soon as you slice it.
- Prep your baking dish with cooking spray or aluminum foil to create a nonstick surface. It makes for a much easier clean-up!
- Cover the dish with foil if you see that the top is browning too quickly. You want to give the inside of the chicken a chance to catch up without the crust burning.
- Fresh herbs. Finish the dish with a sprinkling of your favorite fresh herbs just before serving. It will balance out the creamy textures and adds a nice pop of color!
No! It’s sweeter than mayonnaise which isn’t exactly what we’re aiming for here. Plus, it won’t blend nicely with the Parmesan to give it a crust. Stick with mayo if you can!
Keep any leftovers stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Cover in an airtight container and reheat either in the microwave or oven when you’re ready to eat it again.
This chicken freezes well for up to 3 months. Keep them individually wrapped in parchment paper, so that way they won’t freeze in a clump.
Other Easy Chicken Recipes
If you like this recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe below. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram!
Mayo Parmesan Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Preheat oven 375° F
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray or
- In a small mixing bowl, add the mayo, garlic, salt and pepper and stir to blend well.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture on top of each chicken breast.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over top of each piece.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is not longer pick and reaches an internal temperature of 165° F
- Serve topped with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected
I made this for our evening meal, loved the flavor. Will definitely make it again.
made this tonite… so so delicious!
So happy to hear that!!
I made this for Sunday dinner. Used chicken thighs. We all loved it!!
Made this tonight but unfortunately the coating is very wet so it’s a bit odd. I do love the flavor though. Might try it again with Panko breadcrumbs to see if it makes chicken crunchier.